Fugger and others, FPU performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Danny, im very well respected.

Not sure why people take what I read and get so worked up over it. But I guess I do a good job at messing with the AMD lemmings, pushing all the right buttons from the replies I get.

Telling me real time compositing and 3D rendering was not possible is like me telling you that man never visited the moon. would you agree that man has never been to the moon?

Seems stupid, but AMD lemmings try to argue a point based upon what they dont know just to discredit me. I love those the best.

I post links to info that I post. I just dont post stuff like...

"Danny your a moron, you suck and you dont know what your talking about, danny your stupid and dont know your ass from a AMD salesman."

That is quit typical of some of the crap people try to discredit me with.

I am calm, I am mature, just read between the lines and you will see a picture of everyone vs me and AMDmeltdown. You will see AMD lemmings chiming in to back each other up over stupid stuff like "AMD does not have thermal problem" and "AMD does not have incompatability issues". when in fact both problems are a AMD joke, AMD is unable to add core logic to protect your investment.

G

Fugger, I am trying to have a norm conversation with you, I'm not a lemming so plz don't treat me like one, even though I haven't taken any offence since you haven't seemed to be like that. Agreed that their are a lot of people that are morons but that a side.

I didn't mean that any good realtime 3d isn't possible but it still can't compete with software renderings you see. What I am trying to point out here is that fpu is very important especially with today professional applications. If that machine was loaded with 500+ processors with better fpu, whether or not it is from AMD or Intel, then it would be many times better. You can't dispute that.

I'm just trying to say that Intel messed up with the p4 because it has crippled fpu and they tried to just rely on SSE2. SSE with the p3 was good but the p3 still had the best fpu when it was released. I bought it knowing that but was disappointed with the results of SSE. Now that SSE2 is out it will still be quite some time before software takes advantage of it.

Saying that todays benchmarks aren't fair isn't right. SSE/2 should be treated as a luxury because it is, it may be advantage to your app in may not.

I like AMD because of its pure fpu, I don't own one but want to. If the tables were turned I'd like what ever company had the best pure fpu. As it stands AMD is the best because of the fpu (other may see Intel chips as the best for other reasons).

Unless intels real p4 comes out (not the crippled beta Intel suckered people into buying) it better have the same pure fpu as AMD or they will loose a lot of sales from people that need fpu like me. If SSE2 has a big fpu boost like intel says it will than that will be great but even if it makes the p4 perform as well as the athlon I still won't be getting it because the poor base fpu. The athlon with SSE2 will be something I am going to be looking for in the future.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well you shouldn't say stuff about the p3 fpu "sucks". You know the P6 core is 6 years old. Lets see i say its one of the best fpu's even made even better then the athlon core will ever be. Athlon is a good core but 1995 is so far away

P3 500e@1ghz/i815ep/386mb/36gb/sb mp3+/radeon32mb :cool: k6-2 300/430tx/64mb/13gb/sb512/Sav4 32mb

G

Fugger,
You dont know your ass from a hole in the wall. You havent got the slightest clue of how an FX studio work or how movies are actualy made.
On one leval there is now way that you could work for SGI in any other capacity than janitor. But on an other leval you could, because the only thing in SGIs sights, are its own feet. SGIs bend of self destruction is only matched by your ignorance.
Anim88tor

G

Well, it's been helped along the way :) Other wise we'd be using the pentium core still. The p3 fpu was good but amd changed that all, and it seems intel failed to fallow.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I read all the article links you posted, but i'm still confused to why you think cinema quality (like those used in movies ranging from Jurassic Park to A Bugs Life to Disneys Dinasaurs) 3D rendering is done in hardware.

They use complicated 3D physics & Calculations. have you seen any 3d hardware that claims to do full raytracing with phong shading?

A proper answer would be appreciated.

"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Back to AMD in cluster, one major flaw you overlooked. its called SMP. yeah that ugly acronym that AMD cannot touch. GG have a nice day.
That's so, eh? Well I will be laughing at you, paying four times as much as me for your dual P4 system, and I will be sitting here with my dual Thunderbird 1.2GHz system, kicking your ass all the way back to Satan Clara.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s