Fujitsu's "Green" Notebooks Achieves 18Hr Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I'm guessing the systems use the recently released ULV Core i7 and Core i5 processors. The efficiency is a great idea, but using two batteries to achieve 18 hours isn't what some people consider green. 9 hours alone is often more than enough for most people's needs.

botabota

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
its great to see fujitsu taking the going green thing seriously, hope they can even improve their green line even more

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Well....thought the battery life was 18 hrs per battery from the article title.

That's still pretty decent though. Pricing will be interesting.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I love that 18 hours on two batteries thing. People would be plenty impressed with 9 hours on one, since standard laptop battery length is 3 or less.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
is anyone else tired of things being referred to as "GREEN"

its not that i don't care about the environment or whatever my thing is that is has become annoying, can we not call it energy efficient, or environmentally friendly instead of putting a label on it? are we that lazy as to have to use a shorter word?

bleh, in anycase, 18 hour battery life laptop seems interesting to me... long road trips anyone?

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I love those laptops with two batteries. The best thing in my old d800 laptop is that I can just hotswap the optical drive for an extra 2.5h battery and when it runs out hot swap another without restarting. I'm looking for a replacement and it's good to know there are options.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

see, now that is intriguing a laptop that you can hot-swap batteries out of, i didn't even think about that being true for this... that's actually very useful. EVEN LONGER ROAD TRIPS.... sorry got exited...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]mavanhel[/nom]I love that 18 hours on two batteries thing. People would be plenty impressed with 9 hours on one, since standard laptop battery length is 3 or less.[/citation]
You got that right! I barely manage 3 on a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a 9-cell.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lukeeu[/nom]I love those laptops with two batteries. The best thing in my old d800 laptop is that I can just hotswap the optical drive for an extra 2.5h battery and when it runs out hot swap another without restarting. I'm looking for a replacement and it's good to know there are options.[/citation]
Who needs optical drives these days right? I'd happily drop the disc bay in my laptop for a extra battery and use a external drive.

Though really, I think they could have done better for those power supplies.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I'm skeptical about 15-inch laptop actually working for 18 hours on two batteries. Unless cases pictured are not workstations, but batteries.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]You got that right! I barely manage 3 on a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a 9-cell.[/citation]
Well, the Studio XPS 16 is built for performance/power, not battery life.

I'd like to see how they incorporate two batteries into the casing of the laptop. Otherwise, there are laptops out there with over 9 hours of power per battery.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Every laptop mfg always states the operating hours on the very mimimal power settings. Regardless of the power management, bottom line every laptop acts sleepy when in a power-mizer scheme. But if this has 18 hours on two batteries... I'd have to assume that real world use with reasonable power settings one could get 8-10 hours. That's not too bad without having to resort to a netbook.

G

The e780 detailed spec sheet is online; I guess the author didn't look for it. http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-lifebook-e780.pdf

The 18-hour battery life comes from the combination of an 83 watt-hour battery (8 cells) and a 41 watt-hour battery (four cells). That all works out to an average power consumption of about 6.9 watts, which is unusually low for a full-size laptop but within reach of modern chipsets. The 18-hour figure is based on testing with MobileMark 2007, which means the laptop is doing almost no work at all beyond just staying awake and moving small amounts of data around. The network doesn't even have to be connected. You should expect to get more like 9 to 12 hours of real-world operation, which is still very good. The machine probably weighs seven to eight pounds in this configuration, so that's something to think about.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
The e780 detailed spec sheet is online; I guess the author didn't look for it. http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-lifebook-e780.pdf

The 18-hour battery life comes from the combination of an 83 watt-hour battery (8 cells) and a 41 watt-hour battery (four cells). That all works out to an average power consumption of about 6.9 watts, which is unusually low for a full-size laptop but within reach of modern chipsets. The 18-hour figure is based on testing with MobileMark 2007, which means the laptop is doing almost no work at all beyond just staying awake and moving small amounts of data around. The network doesn't even have to be connected. You should expect to get more like 9 to 12 hours of real-world operation, which is still very good. The machine probably weighs seven to eight pounds in this configuration, so that's something to think about.

its a nice laptop but like you said if it is heavy it will turn a lot of people off when they could just get the dualcore atom or the neo athalon x2 notebook/netbooks
speaking of which the neo's are better than the atoms by a pretty good amount, and on that note both have great battery life add a bit more ram into the system and the price is probably about the same as this one, albiet lighter and about the same speed, in my opinion much better for travel.

G

"using 2 batteries",
in other words, be happy if you can get 9 hrs out of a single charge;
Not to mention, how will you swap batteries when working on an important piece?
Or is it one regular battery, and one battery which can be inserted in a slot like DVD slot, or PCIE slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.