[SOLVED] Full 16GB not being detected, 3rd and 4th RAM slots will not boot alone, but boot when there is another stick in the first two slots

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hi all,

As the title states, I have a weird issue with my RAM. For clarification:
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 Stock Cooler
MSI x470 Gaming Plus
G.Skill TridentZ (non-RGB) rated for 3200Mhz. Its a 16gb kit (2x8).
PNY XLR8 GTX 1060 6gb
Corsair CX 600

Things I've tried:
Different pressures on the CPU via the stock cooler.
Taking to a diagnostic shop (was really useless).
RMA'ing the motherboard (they tested and sent it back saying it was fixed and had no problems on departure)
RMA'ing the CPU (same as the motherboard)
Memtest x86 on each stick individually. They both test fine. (Can't test both together because when both in the system, it boots, but the full 16gb isnt detected in any dual channel configuration).
Reseating the CPU
Updating BIOS and redownloading all motherboard drivers.
Reinstalling Windows.

Things I can't try at the moment:
A different RAM kit. Its expensive and not viable for me to do right now.

I'm really not sure what the problem is here. If it isn't clear, here's a visual of how the PC reacts with each configuration:
Slot 1&2(single channel): Both detected, will run at rated speeds but with intermittent crashes, but obviously is worse because single channel
Slot 1&3(dual channel, not recommended in mobo manual): Only 8gb of RAM detected in BIOS and windows. Will not run faster than SPD (2133 Mhz)
Slot 2&3: Same as slot 1&3, but not dual channel obviously
Slot 2&4: Dual channel. Same as slot 1&3. Only 8gb at 2133Mhz
Slots 3&4, just 3, or just 4: No post, EZ debug led sits on DRAM light, no restarts.
Just slots 1 or 2: Works as expected.

Obviously would like to use my full kit in dual channel, but if that isn't a possibility, then which would be better to do, 8gb dual channel at 2133Mhz or 16gb single channel at 3200Mhz? This question is secondary to the overall question of: wtf is going on with this system.

Solution
Hi again everyone!

I've got some amazing news! I've fixed it!

Turns out, this motherboard has a few "standoff steer clear zones" that coincide with m-atx positions. I had a m-ATX board before this one, and left a few standoffs in because I didn't think it would matter. Well, NEVER AGAIN. I took it apart, removed the standoffs that weren't needed for the ATX form factor, and booted up the system.

Voila, 16gb of RAM showing, running at XMP 2933. This was the stable one before the entire issue occurred, but I'm wondering and intrigued if it will run up to 3200 without blue screens now.

Thanks everyone for the help, and if anyone else stumbles upon this problem after upgrading from m-ATX, there you are!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Slots 2 & 4 are the primary slots for dual channel + running them at rated speeds. Have you tried manually adjusting ram speed, primary timings (in dram timing control) and dram voltage at 1.35v? And maybe running command rate of 2T. It's possible the motherboard doesn't like the ram's xmp profile in dual channel. Sometimes setting ram yourself works.

Dual channel 2133 would be around the same vs 3200 single channel.

If you need help setting timings let me know and post a screenshot of memory tab in cpuz selecting one of the slots populated.

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
I forgot to mention that yes i have tried to manually set the timings and voltages to the xmp settings. It behaves the same way as setting the xmp regularly. The memory tab in CPU-Z shows both RAM sticks in the correct slots running in dual channel at 2133 Mhz. Screenshots: View: https://imgur.com/a/kR8W4ss

I haven't tried the command rate of 2T though, I'll look into that tonight and report back.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I forgot to mention that yes i have tried to manually set the timings and voltages to the xmp settings. It behaves the same way as setting the xmp regularly. The memory tab in CPU-Z shows both RAM sticks in the correct slots running in dual channel at 2133 Mhz.

I haven't tried the command rate of 2T though, I'll look into that tonight and report back.

Oh ok. So just checking you've inputted the following. I couldn't find a bios walk through for Gaming Plus mobo, did find Gaming Pro Carbon to reference timing locations. Hopefully bios layout isn't too much different.

tCL: 16
tRCDRD: 18
tRCDWR: 18
tRP: 18
tRAS: 38

In the sub timing config
tRC: 56

Yeah, try 2T.

Voltage, 1.35~ maybe try a little higher, 1.36~ 1.4v.

When you Rma'd the board, did you tell them what was going on with slot 2 and 4 in dual channel? Hopefully they did test properly and not hurried along.

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Have you tried 2933/3000Mhz at 16-18-18-38 timings and 1.35v? If 2933 doesn't work, try 2666 at 15-15-15-35 or 15-17-17-35 at 1.2v
None of these worked. It just either auto cleared cmos, or would not post until cmos was cleared manually.

Oh ok. So just checking you've inputted the following. I couldn't find a bios walk through for Gaming Plus mobo, did find Gaming Pro Carbon to reference timing locations. Hopefully bios layout isn't too much different.

tCL: 16
tRCDRD: 18
tRCDWR: 18
tRP: 18
tRAS: 38

In the sub timing config
tRC: 56

Yeah, try 2T.

Voltage, 1.35~ maybe try a little higher, 1.36~ 1.4v.

When you Rma'd the board, did you tell them what was going on with slot 2 and 4 in dual channel? Hopefully they did test properly and not hurried along.

Tried setting the frequency to both 3200 and 2933 with these settings, neither worked. When i RMA'd the board, I did mention the problem with the slots. I even contacted their support twitter to get an actual report of what they even "fixed" if this problem is still occurring. They had this to say: View: https://imgur.com/d4tTooF

They then recommended I RMA the CPU, which I did, and just received it back today(yesterday now since it is 12am where i am) and the problem persists.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Acknowledging there was an issue with a dimm slot and allegedly fixed followed by cpu RMA request. Not sure whether to trust that.

Wonder if they cleared cmos when they had the board. Try clear cmos and switch the ram around. Load bios optimised defaults, reboot and try XMP again. Should do this anytime the bios is updated.

If nothing changes, it's either the ram or it's still the motherboard. Knowing the board did have issues, or so they say, i wonder what else is faulty with it. Id look at doing an complete replacement.

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Ive cleared cmos multiple times now and no luck. Loaded optimized defaults and still no luck. I'm starting to think its the RAM, but I'm really not sure. Don't have the money to buy a new motherboard, nor do I have the time to send it back in. Last time it cost me $40 and a week to ship it there, a few days to process the request, and a week to get it back. I'm really stumped on this one honestly.

Might just deal with it until I can afford a replacement. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Come to think of it, the RAM never did run stable at 3200. Only ever ran stable at 2933, so maybe the RAM is the problem but its somehow passed both a diagnostic shops testing and my own testing? No idea.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe visit a PC store and see if they can narrow it down to either ram or motherboard. Hopefully they don't charge too much for minimal work trying different ram. Or maybe ask someone you know? Even if it's slower ram, just to see if dual channel works properly.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Come to think of it, the RAM never did run stable at 3200. Only ever ran stable at 2933, so maybe the RAM is the problem but its somehow passed both a diagnostic shops testing and my own testing? No idea.

Memtest passing would only matter if tests were done whilst ram were in dual channel and at rated speeds then maybe results may have been different.

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
At this point, after basically being out of my PC since early November and getting absolutely nowhere, I might just "ignore" this issue until I can afford to replace the RAM, and if that doesn't work, then I'll replace the mobo. Ive tried the whole PC shop route before and it was a pretty big waste of time honestly. I do appreciate the help here though! I'll mark one of these as solved and carry on with this all.

As a final word, the only part here in this build that was used when bought was the RAM. Mobo was refurbished. As I said with the RAM, it never ran properly at rated speeds but the seller chocked that up to "intel optimized ram." Okay then. Anyway, I'm of the mind that its not the CPU for sure, and either the Mobo was not repaired at all and was just handled by lazy/incompetent workers, or the RAM has went bad since it was used. Either way, I won't know until I fully replace one or both of the two.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

At this point, after basically being out of my PC since early November and getting absolutely nowhere, I might just "ignore" this issue until I can afford to replace the RAM, and if that doesn't work, then I'll replace the mobo. Ive tried the whole PC shop route before and it was a pretty big waste of time honestly. I do appreciate the help here though! I'll mark one of these as solved and carry on with this all.

As a final word, the only part here in this build that was used when bought was the RAM. Mobo was refurbished. As I said with the RAM, it never ran properly at rated speeds but the seller chocked that up to "intel optimized ram." Okay then. Anyway, I'm of the mind that its not the CPU for sure, and either the Mobo was not repaired at all and was just handled by lazy/incompetent workers, or the RAM has went bad since it was used. Either way, I won't know until I fully replace one or both of the two.

Once again, thanks for all the help.
Return the memory and get yourself a kit that uses Samsung B-Die memory chips. On reddit check out /r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Kalboyo

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hi again everyone!

I've got some amazing news! I've fixed it!

Turns out, this motherboard has a few "standoff steer clear zones" that coincide with m-atx positions. I had a m-ATX board before this one, and left a few standoffs in because I didn't think it would matter. Well, NEVER AGAIN. I took it apart, removed the standoffs that weren't needed for the ATX form factor, and booted up the system.

Voila, 16gb of RAM showing, running at XMP 2933. This was the stable one before the entire issue occurred, but I'm wondering and intrigued if it will run up to 3200 without blue screens now.

Thanks everyone for the help, and if anyone else stumbles upon this problem after upgrading from m-ATX, there you are!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS