[SOLVED] Full custom loop has high temps

Alan11985

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2016
I built this system about 18 months ago.

Intel 8086k (Delidded version from overclockers uk)
Asus z370i
corsair rgb 32gb ddr4
Gigabyte full sized gtx 1080
Lian Li pc-q37
corsair sf600 pus

EK d5 pump
EK full motherboard block
Ek Gpu block
x1 xspc crossflow 240mm radiator
x1 xspc normal 240mm radiator
x4 corsair ll120 fans
ek coolant
16mm petg hard tubing

When I built this 18 months ago I had ok temps but was never amazed with it and I did try reapplying thermal paste several times and made no difference at all. The water temp before the radiators was around 44-45 degrees C and after the radiators around 41 degrees C in a room at 22 degrees but in the last few weeks the temps have rocketed and the cpu and gpu now run much hotter. The temps now are around 48 degrees before the radiators and anything from 40- 45 after the radiators with the same room temps as before.

I haven't changed anything in the last 18 months and it hasn't had much use for the last 5 months but has been on every week or so but not under much load but now when I am just playing Beam NG Drive I get these temps. I have cleaned the fans of all dust and done all bios and software updates. The cpu is not overclocked and the gpu has a tiny overclock but for some reason still causes some games to crash.

Can people please suggest the sudden change in temps and how to lower them again?
Is it safe to have a coolant temp that high with this cooling system?
I want to overclock the gpu more but don't know how to stop it causing crashing even when I give it enough voltage.
Also is my power supply big enough to support this system?

Solution
It comes with the hobby. It'll be in your best interests to keep up with maintenance at least once a year, as already stated.

Did you paint the radiators blue too? Looks nice!

Oh, I just remembered something I from an old liquid cooling thread from a couple of years ago! That was when I was looking into liquid cooling my own cpu, and it's also delidded.
So I see you're using a monoblock. Since you delidded your cpu, how did you get around the loss of the IHS height? Are you using a copper shim on the cpu?
I remember reading that monoblocks are less effective in loops with delidded cpus because of that ti~ny bit of height lost from shaving off Intel's crappy TIM job creates a larger gap, impacting heat transfer.
Since the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm no liquid cooling expert, but did you do any maintenance(flush, clean, refill) at all within those 18 months?
That's long enough to have done at least 2 maintenance cycles.

Take some pics of the inside of the chassis and post them through imgur.com, so the actual liquid cooling experts have a better idea of what's going on.

Also is my power supply big enough to support this system?
It should be.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I'm no liquid cooling expert, but did you do any maintenance(flush, clean, refill) at all within those 18 months?

Take some pics of the inside of the chassis and post them through imgur.com, so the actual liquid cooling experts have a better idea of what's going on.

It should be.

Phaaze is correct. Custom loops should be drained every 6 months. Once a year at least. They have a tendency to gunk ip tue fins. Chances are youll need to check the fittings o rings and block for gunk. Use a brush and long pipe cleaners.

System builder should have put this disclaimer in.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
^ time for maintenance. Most bio stuff is shot after about 12 - 18 months, a full custom loop isn't like an aio, your coolant is 99.9% water, an aio is closer to anti-freeze. So you'll need a good flush, mayhem pt.2 or primochill sys reboot. Follow directions. Then add new coolant and new bio stuff.

Reactions: Makaveli

Alan11985

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2016

It should be.

Here is a link to a picture of the build ( View: https://i.imgur.com/fvPxgkO.jpg
)
I haven't done any maintenance just because it is such a pain too do and this coolant doesn't seem to have degraded much but as I can't see the fins in the blocks I can't be sure.

Alan11985

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2016
Phaaze is correct. Custom loops should be drained every 6 months. Once a year at least. They have a tendency to gunk ip tue fins. Chances are youll need to check the fittings o rings and block for gunk. Use a brush and long pipe cleaners.

System builder should have put this disclaimer in.

I probably should look at doing that sooner rather than later then. I posted a picture if that gives any suggestions as I thought the temps were high when I first built it

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It comes with the hobby. It'll be in your best interests to keep up with maintenance at least once a year, as already stated.

Did you paint the radiators blue too? Looks nice!

Oh, I just remembered something I from an old liquid cooling thread from a couple of years ago! That was when I was looking into liquid cooling my own cpu, and it's also delidded.
So I see you're using a monoblock. Since you delidded your cpu, how did you get around the loss of the IHS height? Are you using a copper shim on the cpu?
I remember reading that monoblocks are less effective in loops with delidded cpus because of that ti~ny bit of height lost from shaving off Intel's crappy TIM job creates a larger gap, impacting heat transfer.
Since the monoblocks are designed around unaltered cpus, contact between your cpu's IHS and the monoblock's base plate won't be great.
A regular cpu block is better for custom cooled, delidded cpus.

Solution