[SOLVED] Full screen Alt-Enter game graphics uglier after 1903 upgrade

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
System: Laptop ASUS K55VJ with a dedicated GeForce GT 635M graphic card.
I recently upgraded to Win 10 1903 .

I play a game at 1280x768. I alt tab to get the full 32" screen.
-After the 1903 upgrade the alt-enter full screen is significantly uglier than it was prior to the 1903 upgrade (I verified by restoring pre 1903 from a disk image).
-Everything else is identical (same graphics game settings, same Nvidia graphics driver)

What Win 10 setting could have changed?
In game screen shots before and after 1903 upgrade are identical quality wise. So something must have changed in how Win 10 handles graphics alt enter.

(1920x1080 settings are nice but I loose to much fps)

Edit/add
I meant Alt-Enter (not alt tabbed). No clue why I confused myself.

Last edited:
Solution

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Do you mean ALT-Enter? That's what puts apps into full screen mode
Sorry, I did mean Alt-Enter (not alt tabbed). No clue why I confused myself. Alt-Enter to go from window to full screen.

I will look at this (and DirectX)... tomorrow.

Ed/add
DPI scaling. Good article. Even if it doesn't help my problem (remains to be seen) , seems really useful, the kind of thing I was asking for.

Last edited:

c050

Reputable
Dec 14, 2018
Found it. Next to DPI button. Saw the checkbox and figured why not try it?
Checked "Disable fullscreen optimizations" and graphics looks nicer again.
So it was a Windows setting messing it up.
Interestingly (or not), Alt-Enter seems to take a little bit longer to switch now.
176472d1518286011-enable-disable-fullscreen-optimizations-windows-10-a-fullscreen_optimizations_compatibility_settings-2.png

(DPI really about scaling widgets and may not apply to games that completely controls the screen I think)
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...creen-optimizations-windows-10-a.html#option4

Windows 10 introduced a new feature called fullscreen optimizations that is enabled by default. Fullscreen optimizations may lead to better gaming and app performance when they are running in fullscreen mode. However, some people have reported that fullscreen optimizations doesn't always improve gaming and app performance.

This tutorial will show different ways to enable and disable fullscreen optimizations for apps and games for your account or all users in Windows 10.

Last edited: