Question Full screen apps (games) crash with livekernelevent only when minimized

silverferret88

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Title~~~

(no overclock in effect)
Specs:
i9 10900k
ROG Strix z490-E
32 gigs DDR4
Win 10
RTX 2070S

The problem: When playing games and running them, performance for this rig is as would expect. Running @ 1080p to 1440p on Ultra for all games at targetting FPS/Refresh of 144.

When games are minimized or tabbed out, periodically the game with become unresponsive/crash and in Event Viewer it is listed as a LiveKernelEvent.
I'd like some help with troubleshooting the issue to see if cause can be determined and resolved.

If you can help, lets start with setting a list of steps to start and I'll begin compiling information.

Cheers boys, lets get it.

silverferret88

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Solved.

No idea where this came from, but there was a 'ghost' profile loaded into the GPU config (I couldn't track where it came from, just that it originated earlier this month)
It didn't show up in the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I went fishing through the directories, I found it. It was limiting minimized performance to 33% and enforcing bandwidth caps
on vram, hence why it would kill any game running minimized.

Will spend some time combing it trying to figure out how it came into existence, but it might be one of those 'Windows Updates' where Microsoft just does whatever they want.

Solved.

No idea where this came from, but there was a 'ghost' profile loaded into the GPU config (I couldn't track where it came from, just that it originated earlier this month)
It didn't show up in the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I went fishing through the directories, I found it. It was limiting minimized performance to 33% and enforcing bandwidth caps
on vram, hence why it would kill any game running minimized.

Will spend some time combing it trying to figure out how it came into existence, but it might be one of those 'Windows Updates' where Microsoft just does whatever they want.

Glad you fixed it! :D