Question Full steps on upgrading parts in prebuilt pc

Jun 7, 2022
I got a prebuilt from bestbuy in 2016, and have now gotten a new cpu, mobo, gpu, psu, and ram.
My system came with:
CPU: Intel Core I7-6700 @ 3.4GHz, 3401Mhz, 4 core, 8 logical processors
MOBO: ASUS H170-PRO, Rev X.0x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition, 8GB GDDR5
PSU: High Power 600W 80plus

I'm upgrading to:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO: MSI MAG B550 Gaming Plus ATX
GPU: MSI Armor RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
PSU: Corsair HX750, 750W 80plus platinum
(adding)RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 16GB DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)

I understand that there is not much stress for replacing/adding ram, gpu, and psu. but I am still unsure on how to clean windows, move data, and make sure I do not corrupt software. Any links, articles, or videos to further explain in detail on how to proceed with this would help greatly.

Last edited:
I got a prebuilt from bestbuy in 2016, and have now gotten a new cpu, mobo, gpu, psu, and ram.
My system came with:

I'm upgrading to:
(adding)RAM: Patriot Viper Elite II 8GB 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200

I understand that there is not much stress for replacing/adding ram, gpu, and psu. but I am still unsure on how to clean windows, move data, and make sure I do not corrupt software. Any links, articles, or videos to further explain in detail on how to proceed with this would help greatly.
well it is really suggested to clean install windows, so make sure you have a windows installation media :D

For your new specs, probably before you're installing windows, you could update the bios to the latest first, then start installing windows without internet as usual, and install amd chipset driver and nvidia driver, and reboot, then connect to internet to do as what you please.

To move data, depends on which what you mean, if its from C: to D: then just copy or cut the files you wanted to move to D: or an external drive.

To clean install windows you could use windows installation media, and pick which version you want to use, and when it comes to the option custom or upgrade, choose custom, and delete the partition that have your OS. then click on tht partition (dont click new) and proceed by pressing next.

Also if you have a spare money you could try to take a look at Patriot Viper Blackout 3600, either the normal one or the CL17 or C17 ones, they're usually cheap, also better for your ryzen performance.

If the prices are normal, i would suggest you to go Ryzen 5 5500 Instead, and if you pick 5500 instead of 3600, before you install the motherboard, on your current pc, download this bios, extract it, then name the bios file to MSI.ROM (yes, renaming the name to MSI and format to .ROM), and put it on your flash drive directly (must be formatted to fat32). Put the flash drive under the "Flash Bios Button" and plug ATX power along with CPU power to your B550 board (yes, naked boad ontop of cardboard or box, plugged in to psu power without anything), turn on psu, then press and hold the flash bios button, and it will flash, then wait till it shuts off itself, or watch this video.

Jun 7, 2022
I don't know what pre-built brand you bought in 2016...........but there is some chance it had proprietary parts.

How sure are you that your new power supply and motherboard are fully compatible with the original case?
I got a IBUYPOWER pc, it came with
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb

I ended up upgrading to the 1070, but i think theyre fully compatible with the original case as nothing bad has happened the past 6 years.

KyaraM

Admirable
I got a IBUYPOWER pc, it came with
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb

I ended up upgrading to the 1070, but i think theyre fully compatible with the original case as nothing bad has happened the past 6 years.
Those aren't proprietary parts, no worries. That company shouldn't really use those, at least not much. So a new mobo should be compatible. I wouldn't use that CPU, though. Either pick a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, or an i5-12400/i3-12100 with a B660 mainboard, but I wouldn't go Ryzen 3000 anymore nowadays. There are other affordable options out there that are better. What is the budget for mobo and CPU? And what CPU cooler are you using?

Btw, if you are still playing in 1080p, unless you want to do Raytracing, that 1070 should still do well.

Jun 7, 2022
Those aren't proprietary parts, no worries. That company shouldn't really use those, at least not much. So a new mobo should be compatible. I wouldn't use that CPU, though. Either pick a Ryzen 5000 series CPU, or an i5-12400/i3-12100 with a B660 mainboard, but I wouldn't go Ryzen 3000 anymore nowadays. There are other affordable options out there that are better. What is the budget for mobo and CPU? And what CPU cooler are you using?

Btw, if you are still playing in 1080p, unless you want to do Raytracing, that 1070 should still do well.

I just switched this morning to a 5500. I’ve had the 1070 for 4 years so I figured I’d spoil myself. I’ve already spent a little more than I was planning (was planning on just the gpu) but eventually I’m gonna get an aio for my cpu and I’ve been looking into the nzxt kraken g12 for the gpu

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022
Using only 8 GB of RAM? That's not enough this days. Or you want to mix it with what you already have? That's bad idea - quite a good chance it will not work, esp. when using Ryzen.

It’s 2x8gb. I am switching out my old ram which is DDR4 2133 2x8gb

Edit: you were right. I only got 8Gb. I went and ordered a 2x8gb 3600. Thank you for catching that

Last edited:
Reactions: DRagor
Jun 7, 2022
well it is really suggested to clean install windows, so make sure you have a windows installation media :D

For your new specs, probably before you're installing windows, you could update the bios to the latest first, then start installing windows without internet as usual, and install amd chipset driver and nvidia driver, and reboot, then connect to internet to do as what you please.

To move data, depends on which what you mean, if its from C: to D: then just copy or cut the files you wanted to move to D: or an external drive.

To clean install windows you could use windows installation media, and pick which version you want to use, and when it comes to the option custom or upgrade, choose custom, and delete the partition that have your OS. then click on tht partition (dont click new) and proceed by pressing next.

Also if you have a spare money you could try to take a look at Patriot Viper Blackout 3600, either the normal one or the CL17 or C17 ones, they're usually cheap, also better for your ryzen performance.

If the prices are normal, i would suggest you to go Ryzen 5 5500 Instead, and if you pick 5500 instead of 3600, before you install the motherboard, on your current pc, download this bios, extract it, then name the bios file to MSI.ROM (yes, renaming the name to MSI and format to .ROM), and put it on your flash drive directly (must be formatted to fat32). Put the flash drive under the "Flash Bios Button" and plug ATX power along with CPU power to your B550 board (yes, naked boad ontop of cardboard or box, plugged in to psu power without anything), turn on psu, then press and hold the flash bios button, and it will flash, then wait till it shuts off itself, or watch this video.

I couldn’t get the ram you suggested but I doubt it’s too big a deal. But I did switch to a 5500. Also found out that my windows is OEM so I’m confused as what to do with the process anymore and am contemplating not moving anything over. I can just buy a new windows and redownload all of my games and must haves through the new parts. I just don’t fully understand what I have to do with the bios. How do I get it before the amd drivers? And without internet?

Okay so someone pointed out, I only got 8Gb ram. I thought it was 2x8 but I am dumb. I ended up getting the Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 16GB DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB). I couldn’t find the c17 so I got the c18. Not really sure of the difference though.

Last edited:
I couldn’t get the ram you suggested but I doubt it’s too big a deal. But I did switch to a 5500. Also found out that my windows is OEM so I’m confused as what to do with the process anymore and am contemplating not moving anything over. I can just buy a new windows and redownload all of my games and must haves through the new parts. I just don’t fully understand what I have to do with the bios. How do I get it before the amd drivers? And without internet?

Okay so someone pointed out, I only got 8Gb ram. I thought it was 2x8 but I am dumb. I ended up getting the Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 16GB DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB). I couldn’t find the c17 so I got the c18. Not really sure of the difference though.
for the ram, just look at the number next to the barcode, if its the C17 usually it ended up with "0BCF" which mean Hynix C die. I could tune it to CL 16-19-19-36, but depends on the gacha XD

for the drivers, you could download it first before doing the steps. for the bios you just need to upgrade it to the latest or latest beta (the one using agesa 1.2.0.7), link are all on my post here (above). Just make a windows installation media, then put the bios and drivers on the flashdrive. Update your bios before clean install windows, then install windows as usual without internet, and install chipset driver and gpu driver once you get into windows without internet, reboot, and everythings good to go. also dont forget to turn on Hardware accelerated graphics sheduler on graphics settings after doing all of that.

Jun 7, 2022
for the ram, just look at the number next to the barcode, if its the C17 usually it ended up with "0BCF" which mean Hynix C die. I could tune it to CL 16-19-19-36, but depends on the gacha XD

for the drivers, you could download it first before doing the steps. for the bios you just need to upgrade it to the latest or latest beta (the one using agesa 1.2.0.7), link are all on my post here (above). Just make a windows installation media, then put the bios and drivers on the flashdrive. Update your bios before clean install windows, then install windows as usual without internet, and install chipset driver and gpu driver once you get into windows without internet, reboot, and everythings good to go. also dont forget to turn on Hardware accelerated graphics sheduler on graphics settings after doing all of that.

This is the Only thing I could find. Not sure if it’s better or worse
  • 18-22-22-42 Timings

USAFRet

Titan
My system came with:

I'm upgrading to:
(adding)RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series 16GB DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)

This is not an Upgrade.
Rather, it is a whole new system, probably in the same old case.

You WILL need to do a full OS wipe and reinstall. Prepare for that.

Jun 7, 2022
This is not an Upgrade.
Rather, it is a whole new system, probably in the same old case.

You WILL need to do a full OS wipe and reinstall. Prepare for that.

lol I ended up getting way more than I thought I would so I didn’t fully realize that it was a complete swap of components. Thank you for the video that’ll help hugely

TRENDING THREADS