[SOLVED] Full system drive caching upgrade ?

Owen_23

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm using PrimoCache with 4gb of ram dedicated (16gb total 4 out of 8 slots). PrimoCache supports SSD caching to speed up a hard drive using a SSD, so I was thinking about getting a 16gb optane ssd and using that or an additional 8gb of ddr4 and changing the amount of ram for the cache to 8gb ?

Solution
well the reason i'm doing this is i have 3 hard drives in my system 2 are 70% full, i do have a kinston ssd where my windows 10 lives
well the reason i'm doing this is i have 3 hard drives in my system 2 are 70% full, i do have a kinston ssd where my windows 10 lives
Unless your hitting these hdd's often I would think that caching would be of limit value.

Only you know what sort of activity these hdd's are seeing.

I never looked into caching/optane but I got the impression they were geared toward folks who had a hdd only system.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everyone, I'm using PrimoCache with 4gb of ram dedicated (16gb total 4 out of 8 slots). PrimoCache supports SSD caching to speed up a hard drive using a SSD, so I was thinking about getting a 16gb optane ssd and using that or an additional 8gb of ddr4 and changing the amount of ram for the cache to 8gb ?
Optane functionality requires specific motherboards.
It is not a standard "SSD".

What drives are in this system?
What do you use it for?

I can see the value of using primo or optane if using a hdd.
With a ssd things start to get a little iffy.
Since I'm a believer in KISS I just go the ssd route.

Owen_23

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
I can see the value of using primo or optane if using a hdd.
With a ssd things start to get a little iffy.
Since I'm a believer in KISS I just go the ssd route.

Owen_23

Honorable
Sep 19, 2016
Optane functionality requires specific motherboards.
It is not a standard "SSD".

What drives are in this system?
What do you use it for?
linus tech tips did a video on how he used optane on a amd system with PrimoCashe to get similar functionality to intel systems, it's about the same price to get a 16gb optane drive and a 8 gb stick of ddr4 , the question is 8gb of faster ram or 16gb of slower optane.

USAFRet

Titan
linus tech tips did a video on how he used optane on a amd system with PrimoCashe to get similar functionality to intel systems, it's about the same price to get a 16gb optane drive and a 8 gb stick of ddr4 , the question is 8gb of faster ram or 16gb of slower optane.
And you've still not told us the rest of the parts in this system...motherboard, drives, whatever.
Nor what this system is actually used for.

Unless your hitting these hdd's often I would think that caching would be of limit value.

Only you know what sort of activity these hdd's are seeing.

I never looked into caching/optane but I got the impression they were geared toward folks who had a hdd only system.

Solution