Question Full system freeze - suspect CPU ?

Aug 28, 2021
Hello, first post so please forgive any errors!

Problem:
System completely freezes and does not respond for around 10 seconds, once every hour or two.

Troubleshooting Tried:
Suspected a GPU or CPU issue so I have tried the following
  • SSD Check using CrystalDiskMark & HWiNFO64
  • MemTest86, 4 passed - 0 errors
  • Full & Complete GPU driver reinstall using DDU in Safe Mode
Things I plan to try (in order):
  1. Rollback BIOS - recently updated BIOS to (Version 3004) Windows 11-ready version
  2. Swap GPUs
  3. Fresh Windows 10 Installation
  4. CPU & Motherboard Swap
  5. SSD Swap
Thoughts:
PC is used for productivity and gaming, happens when gaming or when just checking email​
Performance Monitor shows a lapse in Processor Time when the freeze happens [see attached photo]
Trying to avoid Windows Factory Reset or a CPU / MoBo swap if possible.​
Build:

MoBo:
Asus Z370-A PRIME
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
SSD: Samsung 1TB NVMe 970 PRO (Got +4 additional SSDs/HDDs, but didn't feel it perdenant to list them)
GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3200

Thanks for reading and for your time and let me know what additional information I can provide!

I was having this issue when gaming. That’s my thread, have a look. It boiled down in my case to the power supply and a bios setting. I have the rx 6600xt, but since you’ve got a 3080, your issue may be similar since I’d imagine your card to be more power hungry than mine.

Aug 28, 2021

I was having this issue when gaming. That’s my thread, have a look. It boiled down in my case to the power supply and a bios setting. I have the rx 6600xt, but since you’ve got a 3080, your issue may be similar since I’d imagine your card to be more power hungry than mine.

I'll have a look and report back.
You might be right, in that it only happens while gaming, it's so infrequent that it's hard to tell.

Cheers.

That’s how my system acted. I still have to test more, but I started using amds overlay that showed my gpu core clocks temps, etc. gpu temp was always good, what was happening was my gpu utilization was dropping to 0 when my system would freeze.

After the new psu, you could watch the gpu boost to higher clocks. I did have one or two smaller freezes (I just installed the psu last night, but those could have been related to the game itself). What sealed things for me was Thursday night my system actually blacked out and rebooted.

Aug 28, 2021

Read the post and gave it some thought, I haven't made and changes to hardware in the last few months and this issue is "new" so I don't think it's a PSU power draw issue.

Could still be a BIOS issue, seeing as how updating the BIOS usually reverts settings - just not sure what setting might be giving me trouble...?

A tech from powercolor had me change the pci express setting in bios(for the slot), from auto to gen 3. You could try that. But you could also try to see if you can try to limit the power to your gpu and see if that helps.

Not sure what psu you have, but psus do age amd can’t output the same power as they get older sometimes.