full system freeze windows 7

Lenymo

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I have searched for a resolution to this but if I missed something I apologize

Backstory:
first started to have issues after upgrading from a 660ti to a 970 and a 6100 to a 9590.after doing this upgrade, I started to have stuttering mid-game so I reinstalled windows 7 to a different hdd. After doing this the stuttering continued but then I would get full system crash and errors about display driver stopped. Figured it might be a faulty gpu so I replaced it with another 970 but the issue continued. Also decided to try different RAM and psu because, why not. Issues were still persisting so I had a friend look at it and the hdd was showing as bad. So I reinstalled windows 7 to another hdd.

Current:
Everything was running well for ~1 month until today when I started getting full system freezes. It was a little hot so I threw hwmonitor open to keep an eye on my temps and I never saw them go above 50c while gaming but the freezes persisted. Decided to run prime 95 to check for any cpu errors and within 3 minutes my temp reached 70c and I had a full system freeze. Tried it a couple more times and tbe same thing was occurring. Decided to re-apply thermal compound just to make sure that was working properly, and I was able to run prime95 for 15 minutes before the freeze. (Didn't reach 65c during thid test) I did notice that workers 6 and 4 failed to start as well. ran a checkdisk and everything came back ok with that. Currently my computer will boot but after 1 minute on thr desktop I then freeze again. Any ideas?

Specs
fx9590
Msi HTC 970
Asus saber tooth R2.0 mobo
8 GB 1866 corsair vengeance RAM
2 tb WD hdd
750w psu

Lenymo

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Just as an update, While troubleshooting this again I received an error that the overclocking failed on my CPU, even though it is still at the stock specs. Downclocked the CPU to 4.5 and it seems to be running stable for now. Possible hardware fault with the CPU?

It sounds to be either the CPU or the Motherboard are having issues. Considering the the motherboard was originally made for up to 140w CPU's, but added support for 220w's, I would think it's the motherboard is having problems supporting such a power hungry CPU.