[SOLVED] Full USB3 5Gb speed over cat6/7 adapter?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi guys,

So I've decided to route cables here there and everywhere so I have the option to game in a different room to the beast powering the pixels and pumping out volcanic level heating.

I'm kinda stumped where to source dependable parts though, I'll need around 20/25m of connection from the pc which needs to handle KB/M and a 1080p or better TV output. Not the world at all.

Did some research and a usb-25m cat6/7-usb chain seems fit for the job but I just can't find the right adapters that'll go the full 5Gb usb 3 speed. I've heard 1080/60 needs 3Gb so I can't use USB2 or Gigabit cabling, but I have found 2.5Gig usb to Ethernet adapters that I'm keeping as a plan b right now.

Any help finding better adapters very much appreciated!

Solution
Extending USB is not easy, there is about a 10 foot limit before it starts to become unstable. Expending the connectors over ethernet would work, don't worry about "full" speeds, mice and keyboards don't need much. Not sure what you are talking about video, that would be HDMI or DP, whatever you use for your video card and screens.
Extending USB is not easy, there is about a 10 foot limit before it starts to become unstable. Expending the connectors over ethernet would work, don't worry about "full" speeds, mice and keyboards don't need much. Not sure what you are talking about video, that would be HDMI or DP, whatever you use for your video card and screens.

Solution

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015

USB can pass HDMI data, and RJ45 can pass USB, so I should be able to get peripherals and video/audio to my other monitor over the same cable set, hence the 3Gig+ requirement.

I found a set of USB 3 active extenders on ebay for £30-40 per 10m, but honestly, getting an extra long cat 6/7 cable would be so much better and reusable/futureproof than an aging USB 3, not to mention cheaper at only £22 for the full 25m

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Gotcha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shuone-Ext.../B07CTJFHTD/ref=psdc_1338421031_t1_B01N1WCIRU
61UNDkC6yCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Exactly what I was after but only gigabit capable unfortunately, 10g still too expensive at this time. Took a bit longer to find than I thought it would, but this solves everything :D

Connect PC and TV to each of these extenders, put rj45 between them, and the tv side has 2 usb for kb/m

USB can pass HDMI data, and RJ45 can pass USB, so I should be able to get peripherals and video/audio to my other monitor over the same cable set, hence the 3Gig+ requirement.

I found a set of USB 3 active extenders on ebay for £30-40 per 10m, but honestly, getting an extra long cat 6/7 cable would be so much better and reusable/futureproof than an aging USB 3, not to mention cheaper at only £22 for the full 25m

You won't be using the USB ports for video, I've never seen an USB to USB video connection. There are USB video cards, but that is a video card not just a USB pass-through device. There are no monitors with a USB video connector, you need to extend the video ports from the video card.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
You won't be using the USB ports for video, I've never seen an USB to USB video connection. There are USB video cards, but that is a video card not just a USB pass-through device. There are no monitors with a USB video connector, you need to extend the video ports from the video card.

USB can HANDLE video, but yes not many monitor I see use it as input replacing hdmi, but it doesn't need to.

The ethernet carries my peripheral and hdmi signals using the product I linked, so I can plug one into hdmi video card slot and pc usb, and the other into mouse/KB and hdmi monitor/tv