Fullscreen Gaming with video playing on 2nd Monitor freezes my games!

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
So to start with, these are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz
GPU: ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz CL11
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
PSU: Corsair RM850W
Monitor: AOG G2460PG (main) - BenQ somethingsomething (2nd)

So this recently started happening. It's happened before but I had no clue what caused it, but now I've found what causes it and I'd like to find a fix for it.

Basically, when playing a game fullscreen (Rocket League and Overwatch lately) while having a video - Youtube for example - up on my second monitor, the game freezes completely except if I continuously move the cursor around, then the fps goes up to around 50 (not sure why that number, monitors are 144hz and 60hz respectively). This doesn't occur in Windowed or WBorderless, but there's some games that just runs better in Fullscreen for me.

A friend mentioned it might be because my computer treats the game as being minimized, thus reducing GPU power to it, which is normal for 3D applications being minimized.

Any idea what causes this?

PS: I also notice, even with nothing up on the 2nd monitor but just having it on, my games freezes every 30-40 seconds for like 1 second, which in competitive gaming is extremely inconvenient.

Slythas

kds6402

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
It's most likely something to do with the game, not you. It happens to me when I play Rocket League in full screen. So just play in full screen windowed or just windowed on the games it's doing it with.

Slythas

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Hey and thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that won't work as a solution for me, seeing as some games - for me - run better at fullscreen and I want them played that way too.

Could it be a setting in my Nvidia control panel, or something to do with Windows 10? Still looking for a solution or a pinpoint at what the cause of this is.

kds6402

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

It could easily be either, but between those two I would say it's something to do with Windows 10. I used to have Windows 10 but I went back to Windows 8.1 because Windows 10 is extremely buggy.