[SOLVED] Fully functioning PC now won't turn on

Mar 17, 2020
A few days ago my PC kept shutting off randomly (turns out the CPU cooler had come loose and the CPU was overheating). I purchased and installed a Cougar Helor 240 AOI cooler this morning and after some major troubleshooting, everything was working great. My PC ran fine for a couple hours until editing a photo in Lightroom caused the computer to do a hard reset. I ended up switching my RAM back to DOCP (the recommended setting), thinking that I was not supplying enough voltage (x2 8GB DDRM4) however, on saving and rebooting, my PC never moved past the ASUS bootup screen. I tried a hard reset a few times to try and get past the screen and on the 3rd try, I got no response on the monitor. I noticed that the mobo with flash between all the Q-LEDs, and then eventually settle on the white VGA light.

I've tried literally everything I can think of to try and get a signal back. I've reseated the GPU, started without the GPU in and replaced, reset the CMOS battery, reseatted the RAM, changed out my DisplayPort cable, but still can't get the mobo to recognize my GPU and now I'm starting to wonder if the GPU itself just quit out (fans seem to respond fine) or if my older PSU is to blame.

I'm sure there's a lot I've left out, so I'd be happy to clarify any details that are missing. I'm just very confused at this point since I simply changed out a cooler and all of the sudden my computer has completely s*^t the bed :(

I appreciate any tips on how to my PC back in working order!

And Just for clarity's sake:
  • Mobo: ASUS ROG X470-F
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
  • PSU: Corsair CX600M
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4
  • Cooler: Cougar Helor 240
  • Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift 27" (PG278Q)
I built in 2018, but some parts are older. GPU is 2017/18 and PSU is 2014. PC has performed absolutely fine up until the last few days, when the CPU began overheating.

Last edited:
Solution
Only way to test/know is with another psu.

That older type CXM doesn't have a good reputation here so might well be the source of your problems,no harm in replacing it. Since being from 2014 would it be a good time to replace it anyway.
Mar 17, 2020
Apologies, I updated to reflect it is in fact, DDR4. I haven’t had an issue with the system whatsoever until the CPU fan, so I’m hoping it is the PSU. I ordered a new one, but my assumption would be that’s why the PC is operating (fans on, HDD spins up and back down), but not supplying a video signal?

Mar 17, 2020
Found the issue (somewhat). Short of everything, the one thing I didn't try was moving the GPU to the lower PCI-E slot (because the fans sit about an inch from the PSU housing). Lo and behold, everything works! Ran a couple games just to test and everything is functioning fine.

I'll still swap out the PSU and new case to keep the airflow, but I at least now know it's something with my mobo PCI slot. Strange that it all of the sudden acted up :/

Mar 17, 2020
Some background: My PC just went through a little bit of a phase. I recently replaced my stock cooler with an AIO cooler because the CPU was overheating. Then I had issues with the GPU not being read in the top PCI-E slot (16) and needing to be moved to the bottom (8). Afterwards, my PC functioned just fine, turning off and on with no problems for around 2 or so days (most of these parts are 2018, except the PSU which is 2014).

Last night after shutting down and the monitor going black, my PC stayed on for around 3-5 minutes. Eventually the fans stopped spinning and the computer shut down, but it was a weird incident. Now, about 16 hours later, pressing the power switch on the front case does nothing. No fans, no LEDs, nothing.

I've tried troubleshooting by checking the power cable, changing outlets, flipping the PSU switch and discharging for 1 minutes, unplugging the front case USBs, checking the mobo capacitors, ensuring all the PSU pins are connected, but I still can't get my PC to even respond to the switch. I suspect that my PSU has finally died (it is about 6 years old), but I don't really know a good way to verify, short of buying and plugging in a new one, but it seemed very odd to me that everything was functioning fine and now I can't even get a response from anything.

SPECS
  • Mobo: ASUS ROG X470-F
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
  • PSU: Corsair CX600M
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4
  • Cooler: Cougar Helor 240
  • Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift 27" (PG278Q)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

That older type CXM doesn't have a good reputation here so might well be the source of your problems,no harm in replacing it. Since being from 2014 would it be a good time to replace it anyway.

Solution
Mar 17, 2020

Thanks, I have one on the way tomorrow so I'm praying it's the PSU. However, I did just short the PSU and got the fan to spin up, albeit weakly. Plugging the CPU pins back in gets my cooler lights to turn on and the PSU fan to spin, but nothing else.

check for bend pin on the cpu?

I will check when I move everything to a new case tomorrow. The PC was functioning fine and I didn't remove the CPU between yesterday and today, so I feel like a bent pin would've rendered the system useless the last couple of days, but I guess you never know.