[SOLVED] Fully upgrading PC for gaming and architecture school

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Hi!
In January I'm starting architecture school in Toronto, where I will be moving soon and need a full PC to work with but also game.
I currently have a decent PC (R7 2700X, Asus X470-F Strix, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3000MHz, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4G (I don't know why i haven't upgraded this yet), 2 M.2 NVMe 512GB SSDS and a 850w gold PSU) where I play games like COD:MW and Warzone, Fortnite, CSGO, GTA, Destiny, Witcher and plan to play CyberPunk 2077.
Moving this whole PC to Toronto is a bit expensive and risky, so I've decided to sell all components (excepct SSDs) and buy a whole new rig in Toronto.
This is what I have planned so far:
  • Intel Core i7-10700k
  • Asus Z490-E Gaming
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200MHz CL16 (or maybe keep the 16 GB 3000MHz CL15 kit I currently have).
  • Asus RTX 3070 Strix
  • Corsair H100i Pro Elite Capellix
  • Corsair RM750x
  • Corsair 465X RGB

I plan to play the aforementioned games on a 1440p 144Hz monitor, hence the 3070 but also need to be able to comfortably run software like AutoCAD, SketchUp, 3DS Max, Rhino, PS and Premiere Pro, and most importantly be able to render on plugins like VRay and Enscape.

Thanks for your time!

Solution
Before you sell the system, make sure you wipe the drive(SSD) clean off your OS, whichever one it's residing on. The SSD that should be your game library can be migrated and then allocated onto the new system and you can tell the game launcher/apps to find the game from game library drive.

You should look at a DDR4-3600MHz(or higher) rams at the very least when you pair it with the 10th gen processors. That should help you with rendering times. You should look at a beefy GPU too to pair the system with since you're relying on GPU based rendering(Enscape).

FYI, I'm also an architect by education ;) Hope you make it big ;)

Lutfij

Titan
Before you sell the system, make sure you wipe the drive(SSD) clean off your OS, whichever one it's residing on. The SSD that should be your game library can be migrated and then allocated onto the new system and you can tell the game launcher/apps to find the game from game library drive.

You should look at a DDR4-3600MHz(or higher) rams at the very least when you pair it with the 10th gen processors. That should help you with rendering times. You should look at a beefy GPU too to pair the system with since you're relying on GPU based rendering(Enscape).

Solution

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Thanks for the quick answer!
I am planning to reuse my whole storage system (2 ssds and a hdd) as they're fairly new.
Furthermore I will surely look into 3600MHz memory, probably G.Skill. And about beefy GPUs, do you believe the RTX 3070 won't be enough? I could probably stretch my budget a bit more to get a 3080.
And lastly, for my needs, is the 10th gen intel I mentioned appropriate? Or will a R7 or even R9 do better?

Again, thanks for your help!