Fumbled w/ stock Ryzen cooler - need to re-paste?

acordeon

Honorable
Mar 12, 2015
Just did my first build in almost a decade, and fumbled a bit w/ the cooler. This was a Ryzen 1300X with the stock Stealth cooler. I tried to screw the cooler on with the mobo in the case, but that proved impossible as I couldn't get the backplate to stay in place while I screwed it on. So took the mobo out, and still fumbled some trying to get the screws started.

Long story short, I got some of the paste smeared on the CPU a few times, and then picked the cooler off the CPU, then put it back on and tried again. Finally got it. Once I got it really screwed down, it hasn't come back up.

I've read that you should pull cooler and re-apply the paste if you don't do a smooth job of install, to avoid air bubbles. Do you think I should do so in this case? Or is it likely to be good enough?

FWIW, I may swap out the cooler relatively soon anyway, but let me know if you think it's OK to use it this way for a while.

acordeon

Honorable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey @jimthenagual, one thing I've noticed that's odd. The CPU temp readings look different in the BIOS than in hwmonitor. In the BIOS they'll be up around 45C, then when I boot to windows and open hwmonitor, in there they only show in the low 30s, just a minute or two later. What gives? It's an MSI AMD mobo, running Ryzen.

TRENDING THREADS