Charlie

I want to control sound during a Myst game w/out having to
click the taskbar for volume icon. On my laptop, F10 has a
"louder" icon, and F11 has a "softer" icon. Can I use
these during a video game, and if so do I hold another key
down first while using them?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to control sound during a Myst game w/out having to
> click the taskbar for volume icon. On my laptop, F10 has a
> "louder" icon, and F11 has a "softer" icon. Can I use
> these during a video game, and if so do I hold another key
> down first while using them?

According to the system guide for your notebook
(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1000/en/Y69601LRs.pdf,
page 32), you don't just press the F10 and F11 keys. You press Fn+F10
and Fn+F11. Even if your game had usurped the F10 and F11 key
definitions, that should not affect the use of Fn+key. What happens
when try to use Fn+F10 or Fn+F11 to adjust volume while within your
game?

You have the manual for your computer not us. Programs can block anything they want but all games I have honour the volume keys. But your answer is in your computer manual.

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51dc01c522e9$bd86ce60$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>I want to control sound during a Myst game w/out having to
> click the taskbar for volume icon. On my laptop, F10 has a
> "louder" icon, and F11 has a "softer" icon. Can I use
> these during a video game, and if so do I hold another key
> down first while using them?

Charlie

hey sorry David, but I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 1000,
and all of the manuals that come with it. The actual
"Owner's Manual" does not tell me anything about the
keyboard at all but tells me to access the Dell Inspiron
Guide found through the Users Guide in the Help and Support
Center. No there is no guide there, I have gone through
the entire INDEX of what is in the help and support center
and can find many articles about CHANGING function keys to
do something else. NOWHERE

Charlie

sorry. I hit send by accident. NOWHERE can I find any
actual picture or diagram or list of how the ORIGINAL Fkeys
are supposed to work. I'm real sorry here but I have spent
3 f'ing hours looking through absolutely everything. so
please don't assume that because an owner has the owner's
manual, that an answer is provided. I wish you could
access my index: i have been through literally 100s of
entries.

This is my 15th year of anti laptops (can you guess my first IBM compat was a laptop in 1990). Real computers have pretty much one function per key. Laptops usually have extra key often called Fn (and often in a different colour) that you press to activate the command printed on the underside of the key.

Just to make life difficult MS has started doing this on their keyboards. But on a MS keyboard Fn makes the function keys work properly (they are office specific as standard now). Laptops used Fn to make few keys do the work of the normal 101 keys. So I don't even know if you are talking about Fn for laptops or Fn for stupid MSOffice (where F11 is Save). A picture is always worth a thousand words.

Dell have their own forums. Where only dell people hang out. Ask there
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

I'm trying to find a picture of your keyboard at Dell but they keep trying to give me 15% of if I buy one. Lucky your second post gave sufficient details to identify your model. But your case as a Service Tag on it. Use that in future posts you may make as it allows us to know your exact model and options you took. Of course every company but dell put their manuals on the download page. Dell has it in a different section.

Well reading uour manual that I just downloaded. Page 32 has your answer. Fn + F11.
"charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3a2801c522ed$855a0530$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> sorry. I hit send by accident. NOWHERE can I find any
> actual picture or diagram or list of how the ORIGINAL Fkeys
> are supposed to work. I'm real sorry here but I have spent
> 3 f'ing hours looking through absolutely everything. so
> please don't assume that because an owner has the owner's
> manual, that an answer is provided. I wish you could
> access my index: i have been through literally 100s of
> entries.

So how are us XP OS people supposed to know how "Dell" programmed the
function keys on your "Dell" laptop? Go to Dell - they have all type of
documentation for their systems - if not already on your laptop, it is
available for download on their site. Be a little proactive and not depend
so heavily on others.
Another option, plug a USB keyboard in that has separate volume controls, as
in my Logitech has more whiz-bang buttons that I know what to do with, just
be sure to load the correct keyboard driver software to get full
functionality.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to control sound during a Myst game w/out having to
> click the taskbar for volume icon. On my laptop, F10 has a
> "louder" icon, and F11 has a "softer" icon. Can I use
> these during a video game, and if so do I hold another key
> down first while using them?

this would depend on what functions are assigned to your keyboard, or
whether your sound hardware/software can map functions to the keyboard.

In my DVD player the minus and plus keys on the numeric keypad are the Lower
and Higher volume keys.