Question functional mobo fails to recognize functional GPU

Aug 2, 2019
Hello everyone, I registered to figure out a puzzle that drives me nuts.

I have an aging i5 (ivy bridge) system with nvidia 1050 and a Pentium D-based pc scrapped together from spare old parts, including a GTS 450 GPU that used to be inside the i5 system until like a year and a half ago when I bought the 1050. Now I went and bought a new sparkling Ryzen 3000 system without a GPU - figuring I'll put the 1050 into Ryzen, move the 450 back into the i5 to give to my kid and leave the Pentium D one gathering dust with integrated video for an occasional Win95-era game.

As I was busy with work and needed i5 on at all times, I started with plugging the 450 into Ryzen, and it worked just fine. A couple of days later, after slowly migrating software and data, I finally found the resolve to shuffle the hardware around. And while the 1050 settled into the Ryzen just fine, the i5 flat out ignores the presence of 450 in its case. No signal on the monitor on POST, no traces of unknown devices in Windows when run with onboard gfx, no nothing. I doublechecked the 450 in both the Ryzen and the Pentium D machine, works fine with both. Likewise, 1050 runs in i5 but 450 does not. For all practical purposes the GPU and the mobo seems to work alright - just not together.

Tried to replace the PSU with the one from the Pentium D machine, no changes (and the 450 runs in Pentium D with the PSU from i5). Of course, I tried to settle the GPU in place a million times and never forgot the power connector.

I am at loss, frankly.

Oh, the i5 system is:

i5-3470
8gb DDR3 ram
Asus P8h61-m le mobo
550w psu, fairly poor though (also tried w/450w from the pentium d)
an asus pci soundcard

Aug 2, 2019
The bios was at the last version (4601), and I flashed it anyway already.
There is no secure boot or UEFI, it's in regular BIOS mode (Windows 7).
Cleared cmos via jumper and also removed the battery. Still the same, no GPU :(

Aug 2, 2019
What happens if you throw the system into uefi mode?

There is no uefi mode on this mobo apparently? There is only "PCI ROM Priority" allowing to select between "Legacy" and "EFI compatible" ROMs. No GPU at both settings.

One thing that I have noticed is that whenever I change Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration to PCIE, it gets reset to Auto upon reboot.

Aug 2, 2019
A small update: I took an ancient geforce 9500 (no external power required) from my aunt's pc, and the i5 system refuses to notice it either. The 1050 gpu is the only one it acknowledges as being plugged in.

Oh well, guess I'll leave it there, then, and get a 1660 or something for the Ryzen machine.