[SOLVED] Functioning HDD "Scanned and Repaired" by Windows, "Wiped" Data, Need Help with Recovery!

Feb 6, 2020
Hello,

Below is the sequence of events leading to my issue, followed by my question at the end. Let me know if you need any more details.

I recently completed a build with a new MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Mobo and a Ryzen 5 3600 in case this is relevant.
While configuring BIOS, I noticed the SATA ports on this mobo support hot swapping -- great, I enable it for all ports.
Fast forward I realize I put the incorrect HDD in, a 1 TB Samsung drive. Naturally wanted to take advantage of my fancy new hardware, I unplug the HDD, and plug in my correct HDD a 2TB Hitachi, using the same power source and SATA cable (i.e. same port as previous hdd).
Upon connecting it and powering on, I get a "Restart to repair drive errors" prompt from windows 10. Like this.
"Unlucky", so I power down and power on my computer.
During boot sequence I see "Scanning and Repairing Drive D:", where D is the previous drive letter for the 1TB, while E: should've been the 2TB. Like this, except with an MSI logo splash.

Obviously I'm concerned, but I quickly decide the damage from powering off midway through a delicate process like this is probably worse than letting it complete -- because hey, the drive is in a valid format it should just check it and do nothing right?

Get into windows 10, drive shows up as 95% empty, with ~ 1.75/1.84TB free, renamed to D: with the OLD HDD name. This drive was previous at about 95% full. At the root of the HDD are 4-5 folders that previously existed on this drive, files intact (but in the wrong directory).

So after that saga -- how can I recover my HDD? It was storage only, no operating system. I have made sure not to write to this drive at all. The first thing I would like to do is perform a sector by sector clone of this HDD (make a backup), then experiment with the plethora of ways one can approach data recovery (programs, utilities, etc.). My question is -- is this the correct approach and what (preferably free) software can I use to perform this?

Edit1: Looks like I confused "Hot Plug" for "Hot Swap" -- this is why swapping the HDDs resulted in this mess, but this newfound knowledge is too late unfortunately.

Last edited: