Fundamental question about Overclocking.

Evoly

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
Hey there fellows!

Since the new GTX 980's are on its way and im struggeling with recording Dying Light im thinking about overclocking my GPU. I dont want to kill it and dont want to go the "maybe it will survive ~72h" mode.

I have no idea how good / bad Dying Light is optimized but since the options are very low and the lowest settings are minimum my only solution is overclocking my GPU.

TL;DR:

First of all im looking for a easy to understand guide on how to overclock safely that you guys can recommend. I know that ill find a 'load by googeling but since i will trust them i dont want to fail on it.

Secound one, i would like to know if someone allready has overclocked this GPU on a similar System and could simply give me some informations.

Mainboard: Asus - Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k
CPU FAN: Noctua NH-D14 2011
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC 3072MB GDDR5

Core Clock: 1100MHz
Stream Processors: 2048
Memory Clock: 6000
Power Target: 100%

The "Offtopic" is more about the CPU itself. Im pretty happy to see that it wasn't too stupid to buy the 3930k since the upgrade to the last models in the 2011 era arent that much better.

Anyways, i dont plan on updating my CPU but i wouldnt say no to some more power so my question here is, how much does overclocking reduce the lifetime? In a Programm that comes with the Asus Mainboard called "AI Suit II" i found a easy overclock solution that simply lets me choose different overclocking settings and here it recommends 4,25GHz.