Question Funny noise coming from hard drive

Jul 27, 2022
I have a weird noise coming from one of my hard drives. It sounds like the hard drive is trying to initiate and spin but is unable to. At first, I thought I had a defective hard drive so I bought a new one to replace it. The brand new hard drive is making the same noise. So, I figured it was the SATA cable going from the motherboard to the hard drive and I replaced that with a brand new SATA cable. I am still getting the weird noise and it comes and goes. It will last 5-10 minutes of the "clicking" sound and then it will go away for 5-10 minutes and it repeats like that in cycles. No rhyme or reason to it. It is only one of the hard drives that is making the noise...the other one does not have any issues. When I try accessing data from the hard drive on my computer, I don't have any issues opening it up and accessing the data so I know the hard drive itself is working. Any info would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me CRAZY!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XB3JH8eI4MIh4-CJwEfKZFWRANrmU4VU/view?usp=sharing

You replaced one noisy drive with another noisy drive.

Were they both the same make and model?

I can't access your link.

What's driving you crazy? The noise itself or the fact that you cannot explain it?

Would you be willing to buy another drive of another brand/model to avoid the noise?

Jul 27, 2022
You replaced one noisy drive with another noisy drive.

Were they both the same make and model?

I can't access your link.

What's driving you crazy? The noise itself or the fact that you cannot explain it?

Would you be willing to buy another drive of another brand/model to avoid the noise?

I replaced a drive that was making the weird noise with a brand new drive that SHOULDN'T be making the same noise, but is. I've explained it just fine...not my fault you can't access the link, it works just fine for me! And no, I will not buy another drive as it is not the drive itself that is causing the noise...something else is causing the drive to make the noise. These forums are designed to HELP people I thought...not to insult them or offend them?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I replaced a drive that was making the weird noise with a brand new drive that SHOULDN'T be making the same noise, but is. I've explained it just fine...not my fault you can't access the link, it works just fine for me! And no, I will not buy another drive as it is not the drive itself that is causing the noise...something else is causing the drive to make the noise. These forums are designed to HELP people I thought...not to insult them or offend them?
Try a different power connector from the power supply if that don't help try a different sata port on the motherboard.