Funny yet real

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Well, My AMD 1.4 came today. UPS bought me the package, I signed for it. I was skipping all the way to the house.

So I got home. I wasn't going to mess with the chip, but to check out that I have all my goods. So I open the brown package. Took out some newspaper (another state's local newspaper, I will read it later).

To my suprise. The retail AMD 1.4 box was a INTEL CELRON 766mhz box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I quickly called the computer store. They told me that they used that box to store the OEM CPU in. OEM??? I paid 30 bucks more just to get the retail version. Then under their permission I cut the tape and open that Intel box. Sure enough. The AMD processor was in there. It was pretty. But it was OEM :( also that clear CPU holder was also marked as "intel".

So, after talking to the customer service person. They will take away my shipping cost from my org order, so I can send it to them by 2day UPS mail. So when they get it back they will email me and then send the RETAIL version of it.

They won't send the AMD retail now, because they "did not trust me." And I should trust them? They are the ones that screwed up, not me.

What should I do, send it. Cancel my order, and buy from another company? I also thought it was strange that OEM didn't come in a "white box" or something that AMD uses to store the CPU while traveling. Anyone got any info about AMD OEM product packaging? I am curious to say the least.

IMacs for the blind

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
OEM CPUs are just shipped in these blue trays. They have no real packaging. They just sit in a tray with 9 other CPUs until someone picks it out and buys it =) As for that company, that's pretty lame that they would send out an OEM in the wrong manufacturers box if you paid for a retail chip. I'd cancel my order, ship the thing back at their expense, and buy from someone else. If they give you trouble, call your credi card company and tell them what happened, and they'll be more than happy to help you in the situation. Just out of curiousity, what company was it? I want to avoid them at all costs.

That oughta void your warrenty!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Since it didn't sound like they where to eager to correct their mistake in addition wasting alot of your time I say get your money back ASAP or call up your credit card company now. Send them their cpu at your leisure.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That's bizarre, not to mention outright deceptive, in the sense that you paid for retail and they sent you OEM. I'd get my money back and do business with someone else.

This is not a signature.

G

just use it for a K6-2 thats lying around the house...

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you don't mind, who did you order the chip from? It's nice to know in advance which companies to avoid.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Some people don't trust OEM CPUs. I've heard many rumors on these boards and elsewhere. Not every CPU produced at a fab passes each and every test and meets the spec 100%. But if the manufacturer were discarding all of these, they would be out of business in no time, there are so many of these! Note that I'm not talking chips that aren't working. No, they are working, but maybe some of their electronic characteristics are just a tiny little bit off.

I've heard that of 266 MHz FSB Athlons, the Retail 266 MHz FSB are the highest grade. Only the chips that meets spec 100% are packaged as retail. <b>This is the reason why AMD stands for them fast, with a 3 years warranty.</b> The next grade is OEM 266 MHz FSB. The one yet below it is Retail 200 MHz, which are chips that were produced to run at 266 MHz FSB but were later underclocked because they didn't meet the specs (not to confuse with the Retail 200 MHz chips that were produced to run at 200 MHz FSB in the first place!). The lowest grade is OEM 200 MHz FSB.

That is why retail Athlons are so rare, and that is why they are so highly sought after. They are the creme of the crop.

Leo

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I honestly don't think retail athlons are of a necessarily higher grade that OEM ones at all. The reason OEM athlons don't come with a warrenty is because OEM chips are intended to be used by computer manufacuters in creating complete systems. And those systems they create are almost always covered by a warrenty that the company gives. For instance, if you buy a Dell computer, you don't contact intel if your CPU goes bad, you contact Dell, because your warrenty is through them. That is why OEM CPUs don't have the warrenty.

As for what LeoKor was saying about the manufacturer selling chips that don't meet specs 100% as OEM, this seems unlikely when it comes to AMD CPUs. As shown time and time again, especially with the recent AXIA and AVIA steppings, as well as the newest ones, AMD is actually selling chips that are capable of far more at slower speeds because their yeilds are almost too good. Almost all of the chips AMD is producing are capable of running at a decent amount above their rated clock speed. If AMD had low yeilds and some chips weren't cutting it, there would be no way anyone would be able to buy a 1 ghz chip and run it at 1.4-1.5 ghz. SO I wouldn't buy in to the whole retail is a better qualtiy chip than OEM is thing. Truth is, they are most likely the exact came chips, but one comes in a box with a warrenty, and the other you pick from a tray without a warrenty.

That oughta void your warrenty!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i cant even imagine how you feel... they tainted a perfect processor with an intel box... ugh... but seriously send it back whenever and give them a thorough bolloking

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I never have a hard time getting a retail one...I like having all these AMD Boxes laying around...not to mention the 1X1 sticker you get!!!

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The only reason they are highly sought after is because some <b>IDIOT</b> planted a rumor.

All they do is take the Athlons, put one in retail, one oem, retail,oem,retail,oem,retail,oem........... People PAY for the 3 year warranty, its not there because of the "good chip".

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Sorry, Since I haven't recieved my last parts in last week. I took the weekend off.

The Company that screwed me over is:
FTI Computers - Future Techonology (Can be found on pricewatch)

These people said "We must of placed a 1 instead of a 2" or something. That would of suited me, but I noticed that they doubled checked the order (checked it and wrote of the CPU serial number) and even charged me the Retail price.

I sent the package that they delivered me. (I sent the CPU just as they did to me, same package and all). Used ground UPS, 300 dollar insured. I got the copies made and everything, just incase they won't refund everything to me.

I will let you know how it turns out.

IMacs for the blind

FatBurger

Illustrious
I couldn't find any listing for FTI, Future Tech, Future Techology, Future Technologies, etc.
Do you still have the web address? I'm assuming you would

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I would complain to BBB (Better Business Bureau), they deal with such stupidity quiet well (as long as company is still around).

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

tHePeOPle

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2001
If you are interested in the truth about the OEM vs. Retail issue, search the forums for posts from 'stable' or ‘Steve Benoit’. These posts are by far the most knowledgeable and well thought out posts I have ever read here. Steve Benoit is NOT an idiot spreading rumors.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't want to show any disrespect towards Steve since of all the posts on this entire message board, his commentary is the only one I've ever bookmarked, but I found an article that disagrees with him. You can decide for yourself what the truth is and comment on it there. I'm leaning towards OEM once again now since I've always bought OEM and never had any problems.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">This is my thread</A> with a link to his commentary as well as the article.

<font color=red>Amd or Intel? Who cares?? Not me...</font color=red>

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
http://www.fticomputer.com

That's the company that is less then helpful about their mix-up. Sticking me with the OEM version when I payed for a retail box.

What still bugs me is that this company doubled checked my order and knew they had charged me the retail price for that OEM. I think they were trying to pawn it off to me.

Well, if that company does not refund their product 100% and refund the shipping cost to ship it to them. I will contact the BBU. I am going to be slow and cautious. So I have all the info striaght before complaining to BBU and other rating boards/pricewatch.

IMacs for the blind