furmark caused my card to spark

Jul 23, 2018
After a few recommendations I downloaded furmark Asus version to test my antique hd 7950 . I ran it once and it was fine temps never seen over 60c. Second time I ran it temps went up to around 62c around that point I seen sparks started to fly from the gpu. Lucky the motherboard survived and I had already ordered a replacement gpu few days back. I'm curious, I know 62c isn't extreme for a gpu. Could've the failure been caused by the PSU and not the gpu?

Solution
The psu is a Rosewill 650w. I've had it for like 6 years. The stress test was me testing my gpu hardware before it was sold on eBay. Don't want to sell a faulty dying product. Well I've got the 1070 on the way and on the safe side I ordered the evga GQ gold 650w which I believe should be sufficient enough. But the gtx 1070 is used I will also be stress testing that card also

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know why you're stressing a card that old for one. But stress testing is virtually pointless unless you're some techy just trying to push all of your hardware to the max for a review. It's not good for your hardware and it never will be. You can easily look up card comparisons online too. Everyone has benchmarked everything under the sun in the PC hardware department.

Jul 23, 2018
The psu is a Rosewill 650w. I've had it for like 6 years. The stress test was me testing my gpu hardware before it was sold on eBay. Don't want to sell a faulty dying product. Well I've got the 1070 on the way and on the safe side I ordered the evga GQ gold 650w which I believe should be sufficient enough. But the gtx 1070 is used I will also be stress testing that card also

Solution