[SOLVED] Furmark fullscreen and r9 380x results in instant shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgaming84

Prominent
Oct 27, 2020
Hi all.

I bought a second hand r9 380x 4GB. Any attempts to run Furmark in fullscreen mode results in instant shutdown of the machine (only the 380x running). Tried multiple times to the same result.
crQ2Jim.jpg
However, I could run Superposition benchmark succesfully for one lap of the 17 scenes.

There are no graphical glitches, just the shutdown thing. Light gaming doesn't crash or anything.

I'm thinking this isn't power supply because I successfully ran Furmark fullscreen for about 20 minutes with two gpus where the combined draw is greater than that of the 380x alone. Don't know if this could still be power supply anyways. Each GPU connected to a monitor, one instance of Furmark running on each monitor in fullscreen mode. The two GPUs were a gtx 960(160W) and a HD6950(200W).
wBcrDHJ.jpg
gLD8rX6.jpg
EOcGir1.jpg

Also tried two amd driver versions, latest and 18.9.3.

My system:
i7 2600k stock
32gb dd3 ram
power supply: cooler master silent pro gold 800W
System was bought in 2010, maybe 2011

gpus: r9 380x, gtx 960, HD6950

I can still return the 380x, but I only have a very short time to do it, and would rather not, as I need the 380x specifically.

What can I do in this situation?

EDIT: The problem really was power supply as it seems. I took the video card to as friend's rig and Furmark fullscreen ran perfectly, his power supply was sharkoon 700W. I thought that if two different GPUs that together have a larger power draw than the R9 380x ran fine then that meant the 380x should run as well, but apparently that's not the case.

VL40YvS.jpg

How can I mark this thread as solved though?

Last edited:
Hi all.

I bought a second hand r9 380x 4GB. Any attempts to run Furmark in fullscreen mode results in instant shutdown of the machine (only the 380x running). Tried multiple times to the same result.
crQ2Jim.jpg
However, I could run Superposition benchmark succesfully for one lap of the 17 scenes.

There are no graphical glitches, just the shutdown thing. Light gaming doesn't crash or anything.

I'm thinking this isn't power supply because I successfully ran Furmark fullscreen for about 20 minutes with two gpus where the combined draw is greater than that of the 380x alone. Don't know if this could still be power supply anyways. Each GPU connected to a monitor, one instance of Furmark running on each monitor in fullscreen mode. The two GPUs were a gtx 960(160W) and a HD6950(200W).
wBcrDHJ.jpg
gLD8rX6.jpg
EOcGir1.jpg

Also tried two amd driver versions, latest and 18.9.3.

My system:
i7 2600k stock
32gb dd3 ram
power supply: cooler master silent pro gold 800W
System was bought in 2010, maybe 2011

gpus: r9 380x, gtx 960, HD6950

I can still return the 380x, but I only have a very short time to do it, and would rather not, as I need the 380x specifically.

What can I do in this situation?
Try out these d-d-d-drivers! https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/win7-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q1.1-feb14.exe

They're pro drivers, which are meant for 100% stability only. Designed for people who can't afford to have their computer or program they're using crash.

It might help you out.

Imminent warning, I already picked out your OS windows 7 64 bit making it so all you have to do is click the link.

Reactions: oldgaming84
Status
Not open for further replies.