RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
I'm putting together my first small solar system. I have a 50Ah lifepo4 battery paired with a Renogy 700w pure-sine inverter. What size fuse/breaker should I use?

Cable size from battery to inverter is 6awg.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm putting together my first small solar system. I have a 50Ah lifepo4 battery paired with a Renogy 700w pure-sine inverter. What size fuse/breaker should I use?

Cable size from battery to inverter is 6awg.
According to the manual, that unit comes with a 6AWG battery connector. The manual also has a table of amperage based on wire size. If you use 6AWG, then a 75A is recommended as max.

RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
Thank you for your response. I did read that in the manual myself after looking for it online (didn't get one), I guess watching solar videos on Youtube confused me to the point I did not know if I should trust the manual. Yeah, I know that sounds silly, but I even called Renogy twice getting two answers. First said 85A, second said 90A or higher. When she said "Higher" I was even more confused.

I would just go with a breaker or ANL fuse, but I cannot find a 75A, only 70 and on up to 80A.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your response. I did read that in the manual myself after looking for it online (didn't get one), I guess watching solar videos on Youtube confused me to the point I did not know if I should trust the manual. Yeah, I know that sounds silly, but I even called Renogy twice getting two answers. First said 85A, second said 90A or higher. When she said "Higher" I was even more confused.

I would just go with a breaker or ANL fuse, but I cannot find a 75A, only 70 and on up to 80A.
With the 1400W surge capability shown in the manual, that is 116A at 12V DC. That is probably where the higher recommendation comes from.
75A would be 900W The safest thing is to use the lowest fuse possible. If 80A is what hou can find, I don't think that would be a problem.

Reactions: RadicalRazor78