I've been extra good lately.

Forget the list I sent you previously.

This will do perfectly.

Love, Me.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Dear cybr,

I know you've been very, very good lately.

My factories cannot make these chips I'm afraid, so I will not be able to give this present to you. Elf magic apparently isn't the magic smoke that these things run on.

I'm not inclined to steal.

I'm sorry.

Love, Santa

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
acording to wiki, "...Thus with a memory clock frequency of 100 MHz, DDR3 SDRAM gives a maximum transfer rate of 6400 MB/s" and ddr3-2133 gives max transfare rate of 17066mb/s"

200-500% the rate, at far lower price point ... a room for new ram drive spotted?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
For around $900 you could get 7 x 60Gb SSDs to run in RAID, 6 would equal the storage of the 365Gb drive and you would get the same level of performance and you get some fault tolerance.

$900 versus $6000

Hmmmmmmmm..... tough call.........

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
@back, your idea is better, fault tolerance, price, and probably even electric usage. save the beans for great displays or gpus that can CUDA dance with all that speed.

These are worth more than their weight in gold for anyone who maintains a large server and doesn't want to set up a raid just for the os and swap file. Great for database applications as well high performance workstation use.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]These are worth more than their weight in gold ...[/citation]
In that case, I'd perfer to have Gold instead of the ioDrive. The market for Gold is more bullish than it is for semiconductor/memory devices. :)

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
setup a raid? and a large server? that comes daily if you do servers, lol. and a professional server would try not to rely on one piece of equipment.

#elitistcommentfail

Aoster87

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]For around $900 you could get 7 x 60Gb SSDs to run in RAID, 6 would equal the storage of the 365Gb drive and you would get the same level of performance and you get some fault tolerance.$900 versus $6000Hmmmmmmmm..... tough call.........[/citation]

Except that you will max out that poor SATA3

Umm people need to realize, these aren't SATA devices. There is no SATA control chip and they don't use the SATA protocol.

These are for enterprise applications, namely as a storage cache or work space.

These are the fastest storage you can possible get short of a RAMDisk.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Aoster87[/nom]Except that you will max out that poor SATA3[/citation]
With the $5100 you are saving you could invest in a PCIe SATA RAID card and with the leftover cash buy a NEW CAR!

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The applications for which these drives are intended require lots of stuff you can't get by just striping some 30GB Vertex drives. These are the real MaxIOPS, and they'd actually kinda suck for desktop/light workloads. You don't really see the performance until you hammer the snot out of them. You r level load times aren't going to get any lower with 20 grand worth of SLC. In fact, the best enterprise drive for desktop workloads is probably the X-25 E. I only own one, and I wish I had 7 more. Organizations that need FusionIO performance will probably not care about the price as much as the value aspect, in addition to the more massive amount of money spent in other hardware to go with it. Not to mention the astounding sum of the software...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]you would be limited by the onboard sata controller, onboard means it's crap. you'll need to add a high performance $1000 raid card. [/citation]
err... you have $5000 spare, get one and take the family to Disneyland as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.