Fusion IO's 100K IOPs SSD Goes to HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
FusionIO = Isolinear Chip? All it needs is a more extensive processor built in (like ATOM) and a generic physical/software interface, and 24th Century, here we come...

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Quote:"The drives are expected to have a life span of around 15 years with a 5 TB write-and-erase rate per day"

No f**king way, they finally did it, they managed to overcome the life span problem of SSD, this is great.

No wonder these SSD are so expensive.

If four 256GB SSD from OCZ in raid, manage to triple their speed to 600mb/s from 200mb/s, just imagine what four of these in raid can do!!!!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Not yet, but I think they are working on that... What could the holdup be? Political pressure? Lack of programming talent? Woz? (that last one was /s) Or perhaps it is a theological thing, where these are not intended as drives, and therefore are not made to be as one? Seems silly... But a possibility none the less...

G

@falchard
WRONG, now that HP has their hands on it, they'll thoroughly f^ck it up, while delivering pay cuts to half their workers and layoffs to the other half. HP is a has-been company, they do nothing but cause damage to the industry.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]pug_s[/nom]I saw that company the other day at a convention. They said that the SSD's are NOT bootable.[/citation]
No they arent.. But depending on how your servers are set up it doesnt matter. Our servers PXE boot and copy down an extremely lightweight flavor of Linux directly into memory. Our test server(Quad Xeon with 8gb of mem.) with the 80gb FusionIO drive screams. Our newest production servers are running 2x1TB drives though. That would be almost 85k in FusionIO drives, per server, in a 400 node cluster.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
the IO drive is a drive, not a storeage "adapter". Is this new HP device an adapter or a drive?

What interfaces does it use? Will they be bootable? and all the other questions that should be asked in a product announcement like this...

G

Geez, who cares are they bootable or not? It is designed to hold the DATA, not the executables.

It is great that this thing is not using SATA nor SAS nor FT whatever, and keeps its SSD business all internal. This allows them to optimize SSD rewriting without letting Windows/Linux to screw around with OLD ASSUMPTIONS(OPTIMIZATIONS) about file allocations etc.

I guess we will see more PCIE SSD cards faster then we will see optimized Windows for SSD. And I trust firmware more than I trust Windows when it comes to enterprise storage

Status
Not open for further replies.