Future Android Builds Will Support Intel's Atom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
That is good for Intel to make more sales in the OEM market,but as far as what I have read in another post from another article that their was another cpu from another company that could out do intel's atom. Maybe tegra,but I forgot & I don't feel like checking out all those articles that I read in the past again. It was in Toms Hardware anyway.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... how about AMD fusion chips..? They are OpenCL and more capable in GPU department... why support atom's, when even some ARM CPU's are more capable...?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Oh yeah Intel that is what I have always been waiting for, more Atom. In fact I was holding off on a Android tablet for this very reason!!!

not.

Last thing I want is a tablet hampered by a old power hungry(in comparison to ARM) architecture sucking my battery life like a vampire on a 400 pound fat chick.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I get the sneaking suspicion that adding more and more support to different hardware to Android's core could ruin it fairly quickly, But we can only wait and see.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I think the point everyone seems to be missing is that this will open up support (most likely) to other x86 platforms. Sure Google and Intel will optimize it for Atom but if it works on one x86 chip it should work on the others. Besides even if they put code in the OS to prevent installation on non-Atom chips, it's open source so it will only take a small amount of time to port it.

There are x86 versions of Android now but getting it to work on anything besides tested devices simply doesn't work.

So AMD is being smart, let Intel and Google spend the money on development, then work with a company like Acer to get a Tablet with their stuff in it.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]How about all you Android fanboys get a real Linux distro???[/citation]
Find me one that will run on my phone and has access to the Android Market then. What's that, you can't find one? Please go away and stop making random useless comments.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Find me one that will run on my phone and has access to the Android Market then. What's that, you can't find one? Please go away and stop making random useless comments.[/citation]
Seems to me like something has been playing with the comments, and it isn't the first time. I was commenting about the ones thinking it would be good on things other than phones, such as desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.