Question Future Build Critique

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I've been around for a while now and I am looking to build another desktop but make it my permanent station so I have a lot of requirements. FWIW, if I ever mention "future proofing" don't take it literal, there is no future proofing in computers/tech only elongating the time between rebuilds. So here's my plan (it's not a limited budget build so don't recommend budget components) I'm a software engineer, photographer in my free time as well as an amateur guitarist (recording on PC) and slight gaming, but when I do I prefer near perfect graphics. What're your opinions?

CPU-AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2920x
Mobo-ASRock x399 Taichi sTR4
PSU-EVGA SuperNova 850 P2
SSD-Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB
RAM-G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3600
GPU-Radeon VII 16GB (don't know which brand yet)
Thermal paste-Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU Cooler-Corsair Hydro H100i V2
Case-Fractal Design Meshify C in white
Monitor-LG 34UC79G-B 34"

Last edited:
Are you going to edit videos and photos on this mainly?
Seems all compatable but the Corsair H100I V2 may need an additional bracket to support TR4.

The brand of Radeon 7 you pick doesn't matter since they all are identical. (thanks AMD) You may want to consider buying a 3200 kit of ram since they are cheaper and should be simmilar performance.
Also, the Threadripper 1950x 16 core costs about $100 less. It does have slightly slower clock speeds, so depending on what you use this PC for it may be faster or slower than the
2920x.

Reactions: tomekkplk1

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Are you going to edit videos and photos on this mainly?
Seems all compatable but the Corsair H100I V2 may need an additional bracket to support TR4.

The brand of Radeon 7 you pick doesn't matter since they all are identical. (thanks AMD) You may want to consider buying a 3200 kit of ram since they are cheaper and should be simmilar performance.
Also, the Threadripper 1950x 16 core costs about $100 less. It does have slightly slower clock speeds, so depending on what you use this PC for it may be faster or slower than the
2920x.

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, both. This will be my everything build. I considered an i9-9900k/GTX 2080Ti but that would be ~$700+ and it wouldn't seem justified