[SOLVED] Future build, Ryzen 4000s / 5800[XT]?

Diogo C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Hi there,

To start, I'd like to inform you that I have been a little out of the whole computer world for the past few years, around 5 years or so since I built my last rig.
So, I've kept a little eye on it, but I missed a lot.

I plan to build a new computer around April to June next year, and I had this "prototype" version, but after thinking for a while, since I would be waiting for next year to buy the computer, maybe I should wait and go for the Ryzen 4000s? I'm really hyped for those, I think they might actually just absolutely dominate Intel.

My "prototype" version was this, and it would cost me just over 1100€ (I will had the current pricing for the parts I'm buying below)
i5 9400F (140€)
RX 5700 XT from MSI (445€)
B360 TUF Pro Gaming (112€)
2x16GB HyperX 2666mhz from Kingston (77€ each, for some reason they are cheaper if I buy them separately)
And to top it off, a 1TB Intel Optane SSD (123€)

I decided to buy the only 2 things that I could buy that should not need to be changed no matter what the next gen ryzens and RX 5800 need in terms of power and space. So I went ahead and bought both:
Corsair RM850, which is fully modular (although i'm fine with semi-m and I think thats the best value for money) but since the price was such a good deal at 90€ I bought it already
Corsair iCue 220T case, which I love the way it looks, and for 75€
its a really good deal imho. Comes with 3 fans that would cost 60€ if I decided to buy them seperately, so, thats nice.

So far, I'm really happy with what I've got. And if I wait until April-June I should have enough to buy something like the Ryzen 4600, which I suspect will be a great value for money, and the RX 5800 or the 5800XT, depending on prices etc.
But, I realize that Ryzen 4000s would be using DDR5 memory? And I thought that the motherboards would have PCI-E 4 lanes? Again, I've been a little out of the game, so I though current motherboards were still PCI-E 3, and that the new ones coming would now have 4.0. But it seems some already have PCI-E 4.0, and its a little confusing

So, to sum things up, here are my questions:

Currently, the Ryzen 3600 costs about 205-210€ at Portugal, where I live. I5 9400F is 140€, would the new 4600 (or equivalent) be around the same price point as the 3600?
Regarding the motherboard side of things, new motherboard would be a new socket? Or same socket as the current AMD CPUs and just different Memory and PCI-E version?
I'm expecting to spend an extra 200-300€ if I buy the Ryzen 4600? and the RX 5800/XT, DDR5 sticks and the new motherboards at the time. Am I right on those estimates?
And for the last questions, the Case really shouldn't matter, but the PSU I just bought has the usual 24 Pin (20+4) for the Motherboard and the 8 (4+4) Pin for the CPU, and has 850 Watts, which I think should be enough for that AMD Bundle? I was going with the TX750M but got the RM850 (for 10€ more) because it has higher wattage and better components/warranty.

Sorry for my redundancy, but I'm trying to make sure I didn't miss anything :sweatsmile:
Any information regarding dates, average prices, and compatiblity with the PSU would be apprectiated. I know its still somewhat soon to tell anything with accurate data, but again, just trying to figure out if I missed anything major.

Thank you for your time, and have a nice weekend!

Solution
To put it simply, I'd wait for the next gen Ryzen CPU's, they are to be released mid-2020. The 3600 now is a monster for the price compared to intel, but next year I suspect they'll be better, and if not it won't really matter for you since you plan to buy next year anyway.

As for graphics card, I'd also wait for next year, NVidia plans to release the next gen 7nm GPU mid-2020 as well. As well as AMD trying to release new cards with ray tracing hardware support (the card will also be better overall anyway).

Currently only AMD has PCIe Gne 4 support on their Ryzen 3000 motherboard's, the x570. But sooner or later more boards for both amd and intel will come out with GEN4 support. Right now the only thing to utilize gen 4 are NVMe...
To put it simply, I'd wait for the next gen Ryzen CPU's, they are to be released mid-2020. The 3600 now is a monster for the price compared to intel, but next year I suspect they'll be better, and if not it won't really matter for you since you plan to buy next year anyway.

As for graphics card, I'd also wait for next year, NVidia plans to release the next gen 7nm GPU mid-2020 as well. As well as AMD trying to release new cards with ray tracing hardware support (the card will also be better overall anyway).

Currently only AMD has PCIe Gne 4 support on their Ryzen 3000 motherboard's, the x570. But sooner or later more boards for both amd and intel will come out with GEN4 support. Right now the only thing to utilize gen 4 are NVMe SSD's. Or if you have double SLI and dual NVMe setup since Gen 4 provides more data lanes and speed than gen 3.

DDR5 support is not yet confirmed but highly possible. Currently still DDR4 mainstream.

The PSU you bought and case are fine, but in the end I would wait till mid 2020 to begin planning a new build. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, almost all the big players will be releasing next gen tech. While the stuff now is pretty cool too, the new stuff is only around the corner if you're patient enough.

Reactions: Diogo C
Solution

Diogo C

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Yes, that is what I was thinking.
I was planning on waiting for the RX 5800, but then I heard about the whole PCI-4, and that if I had the current 1151 MBs the RX 5800 would never reach full potential due to bandwith limits.
And like I said, 3600 is a great CPU, but price difference between that and 9400F was making me unsure.

Well, thank you for clearing up my doubts, and I will for sure wait until around that time to buy the computer. If I manage to save enough before mid 2020, just thinking of the Zen 3 makes me want to wait a little longer.

Again, thank you for the help and fast response!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS