[SOLVED] Future Games for Console and PC

Ridhwan Yottapsye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Hi all, Both Xbox Series X and PS5 will have: 8 core-16 thread cpus! About 3.6GHz cpus! About 12 TFLOPS power gpus!

If games are created for that standard on next-gen consoles and on PCs, will a reasonable PC with 6 cores-12 threads and a midrange graphics card run the games?

Thanks for the discussion, in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
they are not really comparable like that.

a console is a very highly specialized environment. every unit is pretty much the same and everything about it is controlled from one place. how they use hardware resources is not really the same as how a pc utilizes resources.

pc's have millions of configurations all across the spectrum and have to adjust for each and every program out there. consoles don't have to worry about that. as you've noticed i'm sure, as a console ages, they actually get more and more optimized. new games get better despite the hardware being possibly years old.

for a pc, it only gets weaker as time goes. no one is spending time and money optimizing for 3 year old pc hardware. they create for whats out now and a...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they are not really comparable like that.

a console is a very highly specialized environment. every unit is pretty much the same and everything about it is controlled from one place. how they use hardware resources is not really the same as how a pc utilizes resources.

pc's have millions of configurations all across the spectrum and have to adjust for each and every program out there. consoles don't have to worry about that. as you've noticed i'm sure, as a console ages, they actually get more and more optimized. new games get better despite the hardware being possibly years old.

for a pc, it only gets weaker as time goes. no one is spending time and money optimizing for 3 year old pc hardware. they create for whats out now and a bit more really and you just got to adjust or upgrade over and over.

there really is no answer to your question as the environments are so different.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never gonna happen. consoles only get updated every few years with new hardware. pc's get new stuff all the time. consoles won't ever be able to keep up with their release windows.

not that it means consoles are not nice to have. i'm not one of those pc's are the only way kind of people. each has its advantages.get a console if it has games you want to play on it. use a pc if the games for you are there. get both if you need both :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
never gonna happen. consoles only get updated every few years with new hardware. pc's get new stuff all the time. consoles won't ever be able to keep up with their release windows.

not that it means consoles are not nice to have. i'm not one of those pc's are the only way kind of people. each has its advantages.get a console if it has games you want to play on it. use a pc if the games for you are there. get both if you need both :)

Ridhwan Yottapsye

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Thanks all! Understood. PCs will evolve faster than consoles. Same load for CPUs console or PC. And there are games on PC that I want.

I have another thought. I think developers for cross-platform games on PC and consoles will consider mid-range PCs, even if they're making for consoles, just so that everyone can play. Does anyone think this is true?

Edit: I'm asking these questions because I'm thinking of getting a static i7 12-thread Mac Mini with eGPU. No CPU upgrades for a long time.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
of course its true. it's done with the low, medium, max, ultra, super ultra, crazy ultra etc.... settings the games come with. each one let's the game be played no matter what the hardware. better stuff means better settings.

look at steams hardware survey results. it is very telling about what systems people ACTUALLY own and use. i would stake my bank account that any developer is looking at that every time it comes out to be sure what people are using can actually play the game they are making. would suck to make a game only $2000 systems could play and then no one be able to buy your game.

TRENDING THREADS