Future Laptop. Asking for advice with respect to my need to still use Windows 7 Ultimate.

May 18, 2023
Hi there Upon my quest for a newer laptop I am finding myself stuck for answers. Some of the software I use is only compatible with Windows 7 Pro and upgrading that would cost me an arm and a leg. A large number of vendors (pre-sales or techs) just dont answer questions I have asked. One did and stated that their model did not support due to hardware issues. Is this generally true? I am aware that win7 support is going away, bit obviously drivers. etc. need to be available. Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since Windows 8.1 and above, there's the option to install an app(or even use one) with the aid of compatibility mode, i.e, Right click executable/installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows X(from the drop down menu) where X is the OS you want the to emulate the platform for the executable.

May 18, 2023
What specific software do you have that is Win 7 Pro only?

I can't imagine any new laptop being Win 7 compatible or having drivers for 7.
Autodesk 2011 Professional Suite - contains AutoCAD Mechanical as well. My license is perpetual - that has changed in recent years to annual subscriptions. Back several years ago cost of that was at least $2K, dont know what it is now. My of my use is as a hobbiest now. Truthfully I never tried it with higher OS's, but some prior experience since I owned some of the same since the mid 90's - and comments from others back when...

USAFRet

Titan
Autodesk 2011 Professional Suite - contains AutoCAD Mechanical as well. My license is perpetual - that has changed in recent years to annual subscriptions. Back several years ago cost of that was at least $2K, dont know what it is now. My of my use is as a hobbiest now. Truthfully I never tried it with higher OS's, but some prior experience since I owned some of the same since the mid 90's - and comments from others back when...
I too use 'expensive' CAD packages.
Rhino3D, $1000.
My current Rhino version has gone from Win 8.1 to 11, zero issues.

I would say try it in WIn 10/11. Don't assume that it will fail, just because the newer OSs are not listed in the compatibility.

Or as mentioned above...Compatibility Mode, or a VM.

May 18, 2023
I too use 'expensive' CAD packages.
Rhino3D, $1000.
My current Rhino version has gone from Win 8.1 to 11, zero issues.

I would say try it in WIn 10/11. Don't assume that it will fail, just because the newer OSs are not listed in the compatibility.

Or as mentioned above...Compatibility Mode, or a VM.
Perhaps I should> I did run some compatibility tool that Microsoft issued and it did say not a problem..,,, my 2011 version clearly stated good thru Win 7. At that time others were experiencing issues. Worried as well about mucking up an existing setup that runs well. The hardware issue with newer laptops v. Windows 7 is of predominant concern. I am having a really hard time latching onto articles -advice that might address this. Many of the newer machines dont have internal cd/dvd rom drives, no I do not want to travel with extrernal devices.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Perhaps I should> I did run some compatibility tool that Microsoft issued and it did say not a problem..,,, my 2011 version clearly stated good thru Win 7. At that time others were experiencing issues. Worried as well about mucking up an existing setup that runs well. The hardware issue with newer laptops v. Windows 7 is of predominant concern. I am having a really hard time latching onto articles -advice that might address this. Many of the newer machines dont have internal cd/dvd rom drives, no I do not want to travel with extrernal devices.
It states "good through Win 7", because Nothing newer existed at that time.
Personally, I have found nothing that runs in Win 7 that fails to run in Win 10, except for an ancient Dell laser printer.
But I have no special experience with your specific version of AutoCad.

For newer laptops...yes, CD/DVD has mostly gone away, in favor of USB connections.
Size and weight are why.

TRENDING THREADS