[SOLVED] Future of gaming monitors 4K or 1440p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
I recently decided the next time I upgrade my pc will be when “next gen” monitors become Relatively affordable. Alianware is the first (as far as I know) to use Samsungs new QLED which definitely looks like it fits the bill on the wow factor. The only box it doesn’t check is 4K or 5K. Realistically I do not want a monitor larger then 34in so my question to you is do you think the future is? According to steam most users still use 1080P. Do you think 1440P at 34in or below is going to be the sweet spot moving forward or do you think it would be better to wait for higher res displays?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...3dw/apd/210-bcye/monitors-monitor-accessories

Solution
Monitor resolution has always been a person's personal preference. And cost also comes in to play. The average person replaces their computer every four years. So it is cheaper for the average person to use 1080p for cost effectiveness. The amount of gaming comes in to play also. Would you buy a 4k monitor when all you play is two or three games? Having said all that, with the next generation of gpu's coming out in the next few months, going 1440p and 4k will be easier than ever. And I see the market moving more in that direction. I don't know if the gpu prices will fall back to reality prices or not. So we come back around to cost. In these troubled times people are having hard times just getting to work. I don't see the market...
Monitor resolution has always been a person's personal preference. And cost also comes in to play. The average person replaces their computer every four years. So it is cheaper for the average person to use 1080p for cost effectiveness. The amount of gaming comes in to play also. Would you buy a 4k monitor when all you play is two or three games? Having said all that, with the next generation of gpu's coming out in the next few months, going 1440p and 4k will be easier than ever. And I see the market moving more in that direction. I don't know if the gpu prices will fall back to reality prices or not. So we come back around to cost. In these troubled times people are having hard times just getting to work. I don't see the market exploding for gaming at 4k. Again it comes to personal preference for resolution level and the ability to afford high end gaming. IMHO.

Reactions: DAG93
Solution

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
I agree with both of you! I am personally in no rush to upgrade while my PC is still playing flawlessly. I suppose we have to see what next gen hardware can handle and if the supply will meet the demand this go around. Excited to see what the future holds!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMO, we saw a premature 'push' for "4K Gaming" a couple of years ago. Many budget minded people quickly discovered that this required equipment that cost a whole lot for very little return in many cases, such as lowered frame rates, small screen text, etc. which led to scaling and thus made the choice irrelevant. Add on top of that the scarcity and cost of high end GPU that support it...
The push as of late (IMO) is frame rate and alongside that see a lot of recommends to 2K from industry and 'influencers'.

If you have the budget to support it, there is no question that the market is going to move on to 4K as some point. Linus and all his money is already talking 8K....(lol)

Reactions: DAG93 and Why_Me

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
IMO, we saw a premature 'push' for "4K Gaming" a couple of years ago. Many budget minded people quickly discovered that this required equipment that cost a whole lot for very little return in many cases, such as lowered frame rates, small screen text, etc. which led to scaling and thus made the choice irrelevant. Add on top of that the scarcity and cost of high end GPU that support it...
The push as of late (IMO) is frame rate and alongside that see a lot of recommends to 2K from industry and 'influencers'.

If you have the budget to support it, there is no question that the market is going to move on to 4K as some point. Linus and all his money is already talking 8K....(lol)

Haha I did see the LTT video on the monitor I tagged In the link. They did run the 8k with SLI (man that sounds dated) 3090s but who wants that? I’m interested to see what the environment will be like in the next year? I think you made a great point about the push to 4k to soon. I’ll keep enjoying my 24in 1080P for another few years assuming it holds up haha

Reactions: Why_Me

larsv8

Distinguished
IMHO the mainstream right now is 1440.

I paid a premium for a 27inch 1440p 160hz monitor about 5 years ago, I think it was abut $800.

Further iterations of that combination are now in the 2-300 dollar range, and new mid range cards can comfortably handle it.

Personally, I am a first mover, and have since moved to a 4k OLED. Truth be told, I could barely tell the difference between 1440 and 4k (Maybe I am old), however the OLED tech made it worthwhile.

I am curious how much better displays can even get resolution wise. Once we get to the point where a low end GPU can run 4k 300+ hz, I am not sure if there is any more benefit there in increasing resolutions. It will have to be other improvements like contrast, HDR, etc.

Long story short, get a 1440p and midrange card and it should keep you happy for quite some time.

I paid a premium for a 27inch 1440p 160hz monitor about 5 years ago, I think it was abut $800.

Further iterations of that combination are now in the 2-300 dollar range, and new mid range cards can comfortably handle it.

Personally, I am a first mover, and have since moved to a 4k OLED. Truth be told, I could barely tell the difference between 1440 and 4k (Maybe I am old), however the OLED tech made it worthwhile.

I am curious how much better displays can even get resolution wise. Once we get to the point where a low end GPU can run 4k 300+ hz, I am not sure if there is any more benefit there in increasing resolutions. It will have to be other improvements like contrast, HDR, etc.

Long story short, get a 1440p and midrange card and it should keep you happy for quite some time.
1080P is still being used by 75% of gamers according to Steam. If you're someone who plays first person shooters such as CoD Warzone, BF, etc ... and you can't afford an overpriced higher end graphics card such as a 3080 then 1440 is out of the question.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020

What graphics card are you running and what settings do you typically run in games? (Low, med, High?) Playing new or old titles? Trying to compare my hardware to someone confirmed to be running at 4k.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ This would be very dependent on what manner of games you are playing. These large multi-player shooters are typically best using lower settings such that you see higher frame rates in game. On the other side of that coin you have (for instance) things like Cyberpunk which are designed with loads of eye candy and best run at the highest settings you can with acceptable frame rates.

DAG93

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
^ This would be very dependent on what manner of games you are playing. These large multi-player shooters are typically best using lower settings such that you see higher frame rates in game. On the other side of that coin you have (for instance) things like Cyberpunk which are designed with loads of eye candy and best run at the highest settings you can with acceptable frame rates.

Absolutely agree with this. I am mostly playing MMOs right now and could really benefit from the extra screen space. But don’t want to get an ultra wide and tank my Performance on everything else 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.