Future of my setup? I5 7500 / RX 470

Daniel_481

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I know this is impossible to answer, but I was just wondering about opinions. How long do you think an I5 7500 / RX 470 setup w/ 16gb RAM, will be able to continue to play almost all games at/near 60fps on high or ultra settings at 1080p?

Solution
The i5-7500 shouldn't let you down in Gaming for a few generation i reckon (maybe ~5-6 years i would start considering new options) since i5 4th gen and 3rd gen are still fairly capable at Gaming today with a good GPU. I can't say i would consider an RX 470 capable of 60 FPS in High/Ultra to begin with for modern games at 1080p (see any AAA 2016/2017 Game). More of a good Medium/High GPU. I'd say it would last at least 2 more years at Medium/High but might be pushing Medium by 3 years if you want to keep the frame rate consistent. But remember we can only suggest opinions which is what i am doing. Depends how the industry goes with advancements in Graphics, APIs, etc. :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
The i5-7500 shouldn't let you down in Gaming for a few generation i reckon (maybe ~5-6 years i would start considering new options) since i5 4th gen and 3rd gen are still fairly capable at Gaming today with a good GPU. I can't say i would consider an RX 470 capable of 60 FPS in High/Ultra to begin with for modern games at 1080p (see any AAA 2016/2017 Game). More of a good Medium/High GPU. I'd say it would last at least 2 more years at Medium/High but might be pushing Medium by 3 years if you want to keep the frame rate consistent. But remember we can only suggest opinions which is what i am doing. Depends how the industry goes with advancements in Graphics, APIs, etc. :)

Solution

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Agreed. I have a GTX1060 3gb and I am seeing memory related bottlenecks at 1080p in No Man's Sky. The rx470 is one tier down from the GTX1060, so I would assume you will already face bottlenecks in today's AAA titles with that GPU. However, I agree that the i5 should be sufficient for 60fps for at least a couple more years. It is only at higher fps where we see the i5 becoming a bottleneck in very powerful GPU systems.