[SOLVED] Future proof build advice

UKTone

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
LGA 1700 and Intel Alder Lake (12th-gen) are probably going to release towards the end of this year (one site suspects the cards will be released nov 19th). Should i wait for this gen before i build?

I'm looking into the 3080, but what is the difference between the ventus, gaming, etc. I see that some say oc (overclocked), but idk what other differences there are. Some i found say they come with a fan, but these don't say they do.

I've been kind of out of the loop with tech updates, but the newest hdmi is on the same level as displayport. There's a 3.2 usb.

What should i go for wifi (will be corded when i move, but for now wifi is my main way of connecting)?

Black friday is coming up so may as well save, i was trying to use pcpartpicker to build everything, but i got stopped because of the motherboard and ram. I don't really know what options to look for on the motherboard fr, and not sure how much ram i should get, black friday is a factor, makes me think why not go 32-128gb. How much does the speed ratings matter and the cas latency?

My budget isn't limited, let me know the best build possible. This a little all over the place though lol.

Solution
Impossible to say whether 12th gen is worth waiting for. No way to know performance or prices officially. No real reviews, etc.

All 3080s will have a fan or multiple. The difference between models is generally the cooler, which will determine how cool the card runs and how loud it will be. The difference between "oc" and non oc cards is negligible because the cards will all boost past rated speeds anymore.

Ram speed and cas latency is very important for Ryzen, but does not impact performance much for Intel. Just make sure you have 2 sticks minimum.

16gb is enough for the vast majority of games and applications, with 32gb being good for some wiggle room. For gaming you do not need any more than 32gb.

For wifi, I'd get a board with it...

kanewolf

Titan
LGA 1700 and Intel Alder Lake (12th-gen) are probably going to release towards the end of this year (one site suspects the cards will be released nov 19th). Should i wait for this gen before i build?

I'm looking into the 3080, but what is the difference between the ventus, gaming, etc. I see that some say oc (overclocked), but idk what other differences there are. Some i found say they come with a fan, but these don't say they do.

I've been kind of out of the loop with tech updates, but the newest hdmi is on the same level as displayport. There's a 3.2 usb.

What should i go for wifi (will be corded when i move, but for now wifi is my main way of connecting)?

Black friday is coming up so may as well save, i was trying to use pcpartpicker to build everything, but i got stopped because of the motherboard and ram. I don't really know what options to look for on the motherboard fr, and not sure how much ram i should get, black friday is a factor, makes me think why not go 32-128gb. How much does the speed ratings matter and the cas latency?

My budget isn't limited, let me know the best build possible. This a little all over the place though lol.
Huge budget and smart budget are two VERY different things.
Describe your uses for the PC to help the responders. Also describe what you currently use.
Buying the bleeding edge isn't always the best answer.

Impossible to say whether 12th gen is worth waiting for. No way to know performance or prices officially. No real reviews, etc.

All 3080s will have a fan or multiple. The difference between models is generally the cooler, which will determine how cool the card runs and how loud it will be. The difference between "oc" and non oc cards is negligible because the cards will all boost past rated speeds anymore.

Ram speed and cas latency is very important for Ryzen, but does not impact performance much for Intel. Just make sure you have 2 sticks minimum.

16gb is enough for the vast majority of games and applications, with 32gb being good for some wiggle room. For gaming you do not need any more than 32gb.

For wifi, I'd get a board with it built in, but you can add a pcie wifi card if you wish to any other board.

Solution

I'd wait for the reviews of Alder lake first tbh. After the first of the year the B660 boards and locked cpu's will be released and those boards tmk will run both DDR5 and DDR4 from what I've read.