'Future Proof' Desktop for my mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy, folks!

I made a parts list for a new desktop build for my mom and was hoping for some input. I want the rig to last her for several years as it's a sizeable expense for her. She usually uses it for MS office, website surfing, etc. It's worth noting that I am holding off on purchasing the parts until Black Friday so that I can get a better overall deal, so things like the case, storage, etc, can totally change based on deals.

That said, what do you guys think? The biggest struggle I have is deciding on a Ryzen R3 vs R5. I want to go R3 to save money, but wanting this to last her years is on my mind. She's also the type of person that will open firefox, have about 10 tabs open while watching a video and having MS Word and random PDFs all left open. It's worth noting that I went with gen 1 Zen because I have an old GPU collecting dust, so the APU of the Zen+ series didn't seem necessary.

I'm happy to go cheaper on a mobo if there's a reliable option. Onboard wifi would be great, but not completely necessary as she has an old USB wifi card.

Finally, I have a SSD and a HDD. She saves TONS of random photos from the internet, as well as backs up her phone photos. She also saves lots of word documents. So... I honestly think 500GB of storage would probably be sufficient, but I wasn't sure if having only an SSD for OS and storage was the best route for her to be cluttering up. Thoughts on this?

*Link to current build*

Cheers!

USAFRet

Titan
1. At todays prices, I would include a larger SSD than a 120GB. Yes, even if you have a secondary HDD.
In fact, she really, really needs just a single drive. Makes things much easier for a non-techie.

2. And not THAT SSD, no matter what the size.

3. You've forgotten an OS for this. Your mom needs a valid, licensed OS. Add about $90 USD.

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017

Ok, I changed around the storage on the build. Less space, but did save some $. Any input on the CPU situation?

USAFRet

Titan

That RAM will work, but a Ryzen really benefits from faster RAM.
In this case, though...it may not make any real difference.

And you still need a valid OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.