Future-proof, light and powerful laptop

aliali47

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Dear T.H. Community,

This is a consumer purchase question. I've been using a Macbook Air (2011) for 4.5 years. It's served me well for its mobility: battery life (until the past year), light weight, and stability of OSX, which has always felt like everything I wanted Linux to be as an ordinary consumer. I mostly use my laptop for writing long office documents, internet, including streaming, and some very light photo-editing. I occasionally play games but am happy with titles that are a few years old.

I have seen light laptops with good ports and power like the Dell XPS 13, but it is not upgradable - RAM-wise - after you buy it (or is very hard to do so). The HP Spectre is elegant but has few ports and is not upgradable. There are other Dell models which have great features, but are not lightweight and have very mediocre battery life.

The new macs are very expensive, lack USB 3 ports, and also come with soldered on RAM. Perhaps if they offered models with 32gb RAM soldered on for under £1800 I could persuade myself that it would be a solid investment.

So what does the community advise? I need something reliable, upgradeable, and as light as possible as I work between libraries and offices with a laptop in my backpack. I'm not prepared to fork out £1800 for a non-upgradeable Mac when there appear to be better equipped Windows 10 (or Ubuntu) laptop options for £500 less.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you!

First could you let me know what websites you use to buy laptops from. 2nd could you let me know the weight limit. Also are there any ports that that you need, what is the max size you want for your storage and what type and what games are you looking to play?