Future Proof Motherboard

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
Hi, I was wondering what socket the new intels would be using? I wanted to get a future proof motherboard so that all I can do is buy another video card for Sli, and a new processor when I get the money. I don't have preference over amd or intel. Unfortunatly, I am not sure about the new am2+ mobos supporting SLI. All gigabyte has so far is crossfire.

I would like to get a am2+ motherboard to go with my 5000+ that I have now. Then later, upgrade to a phenom. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, what chipset? X38 is what I might get for intel, but no SLI support yet?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Sometime in very late 2008 to early 2009 Intel will release the AMD killer, the 35nm processer with the first Intel chip with an on die memory controller just like AMD has been doing for some time now. If you really want one of those new Intel chip with the memory controller and a new mobo to fit the new socket you'll be waiting til 3Q 2008 at best. Socket 775 will last for about two more years because not everyone can just go out and buy a new motherboard (X48), a new 35nm processer and some 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

Right now the two best mobo/chipsets out there that are compatible with Intel's new Penrym 45nm are the P35 & X38 chipsets, such as an Asus P5K Deluxe or the new more reliable Asus P5E X38 motherboard which I am glad to actually own one. Now Nvidia claimed many months ago that everyone that owns a 680i motherboard that they will support Penrym 45nm processers, now that is in question atm.

So far with the track record with the 680i mobo's when they first came out with many bugs like data corruption (to name one) that didn't make me feel to cosey about getting one which I almost did. Now they are a lot better and much more reliable now that Nvidia has fix those bugs. The fact is that an Intel chipset for Intel processers seem to be the way to go, at least thats how I feel atm. Don't get me wrong I am an Intel/Nvidia fanboy and if I wanted to go SLI now (part of me wants to) I'd get a motherboard from EVGA as there very stable now and is the only way to go.

AMD/ATI are clearly both playing catch up right now with Intel/Nvidia taking the lead and it seems like they'll both be there for some time until AMD/ATI actual do catch up. I really hope they do catch up because if AMD/ATI lose so do we, just look at the monster that is Microsoft.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you too much. :D

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
No that was pretty clear. I really want the new Phenom. I didn't know that Intel had something other than the Penryn coming out in the latter 2008. I am hoping for a good 1 1/2 mobo at best. But with **** advancing as far as it does, idk.

What I would really like to see is the AM2+ mobos supporting sli. I have been an Amd user all my life as my dad has as well. Kinda hard to do the switch.

I am set on Nvidia. What I really want is to buy an 8800gt now and sli in the future. My original plan was to do this with the evga mobo and a Q6600. I am not sure how long that will last me though. Also the 8800gt has Sli problems with some mobos.

So, to sum this up, my problem is.

Finding an AM2+ mobo supporting SLI.

Finding an X38 mobo supporting SLI.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168131312270

^
Would like that one if supported SLI. But I have heard that Nvidia chipsets are wayyyy better if running SLI.

So can anyone tell me what performs better?

680i-P35-x38???

AMD 790 any good?

What does a motherboard chipset really do when it comes to gaming?

Sorry for the mass of questions everyone.... thanks.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Finding an AMD mobo that supports SLI, SLI used to be more exsclusive to AMD mobo's. It sucks that my Asus P5E having two 16x PCI-Express 2.0 can't run SLI. :fou: I wish Intel would buy out Nvidia, can you imagine the competitiveness from Intel/Nvidia vs AMD/ATI? As for being able to run SLI which is far better than the buggy nature of CrossFire, but that would mean that you have to get an Nvidia based mobo (EVGA 680i A1 is best) utilising SLI is the way to go.

Nvidia has always been one step ahead for duel graphics cards, first out with better drivers than their rival. I remember when Oblivion first came out, there was an issue with how self shadows were cast wrong and Nvidia shortly came out with a fix a few weeks later. It took 8 months later for ATI to finely fix their driver problem, that didn't make ATI look very good.

The X38 is the best performer, just have a look at the 50 reviews at NewEgg theres not one board that failed to work out of 50! Asus has had many problems with their P35 base mobo's rebooting in the middle of apps, games and just about anything you can think of. Just have a look at NewEgg or Asus's own forums with all the horror stories.

The mobo chipsets comunicate with the processer because of the memory controller being in the chipset instead of on the processers die like AMD has been doing for sometime. Don't judge a processers by these on die memory controller because at the end of the day Intel's perform & overclock way better than an AMD. I am not trying to change your prefference or anything just giving you facts. If you have anymore questions please ask. :)

dashelj

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I dunno about the x38 being able to use sli in the future, nvidia seems pretty stingy with it. But PCIe 2.0 may give some future proofing. The X38 are good boards if a bit expensive and they support the upcoming penryns so they are as about as futureproof as you can get with intel at this moment.

The AMD spider set up will support processors farther into the future than the intel set up will. I guess the question is : Will you want those processors?

No SLI in X38, and I don't expect it to become possible through BIOS updates.

You could wait a few weeks for a 780i motherboard, the new 8800GTS 512MB, and the Q9450, and do SLI later.

Or, you can get an X38/Q6600/HD3870 and do Crossfire later.

Or, get this motherboard and a Phenom and an HD3870 now, and add 1, 2 or 3 more video cards later... :eek:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128070

Edit: I'm not sure at this point if that motherboard can fit 4 dual-slot cards. Check if you want more than two video cards. Also, I'm wondering what sort of PSU you'd need for 4 video cards and a quad...