[SOLVED] Future proof upgrade

May 29, 2020
Built my tower 3 years ago and i think it's in need for an upgrade for upcoming games.

Current specs:
CPU: I5 7600k
GPU: GTX 1050TI
RAM: 16GB GDDR4
PSU: TX 650M
Motherboard: MSI Z270-a pro

I'm thinking that the GPU is the most needed upgrade at the moment, which GPU's would be worthwhile to get these days?
(other component suggestions are also appreciated since i'm still new to this)
Sidenote: was looking into AMD and Nvidia in terms of GPU, if i should get AMD i would need to switch out my motherboard since it does not support it.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Not really anything specific, current monitor is 60hz refresh which will be upgraded to 144hz monitor in the future. Main thing i'm looking for is advice on the most interesting GPU at the moment/ other specs i should upgrade after the GPU.

The 2070 Super is probably the sweet spot. The 2080 Super is still a bit better -- the 2070 Super gets near the regular 2080 -- but I think having more to save towards a future platform upgrade will be better than the difference between the GPUs (the i5s from a few years ago haven't aged well).
May 29, 2020
Not really anything specific, current monitor is 60hz refresh which will be upgraded to 144hz monitor in the future. Main thing i'm looking for is advice on the most interesting GPU at the moment/ other specs i should upgrade after the GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The 2070 Super is probably the sweet spot. The 2080 Super is still a bit better -- the 2070 Super gets near the regular 2080 -- but I think having more to save towards a future platform upgrade will be better than the difference between the GPUs (the i5s from a few years ago haven't aged well).

Solution
May 29, 2020
Alright thank you, the PSU should be able to handle this right? And since you say the older i5 haven't aged well this would mean the CPU would be my next go to upgrade?
Any suggestions on that part in terms of model/ intel or AMD?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright thank you, the PSU should be able to handle this right? And since you say the older i5 haven't aged well this would mean the CPU would be my next go to upgrade?
Any suggestions on that part in terms of model/ intel or AMD?

It ought to be OK. It may be nearing the end of its life depending on how old it is, but it's a quality PSU that won't take anything with it, so it's not really necessary to replace it. Especially now with the whole supply chain for PSUs being a mess.

Next would be a platform upgrade. For every last bit of FPS, Intel's probably the better bet still, but Ryzen's very close and if you have substantial non-gaming needs, including streaming, that might be a better option. Really depends what the market looks like at the time!

May 29, 2020
Okay sweet thanks for the advice, regarding the intel/ AMD choice, i've heard that the latest intel gen isnt't really a major upgrade and while AMD might still be a bit behind they were cheaper overall for nearly the same performance so AMD would be a better choice, is that true?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay sweet thanks for the advice, regarding the intel/ AMD choice, i've heard that the latest intel gen isnt't really a major upgrade and while AMD might still be a bit behind they were cheaper overall for nearly the same performance so AMD would be a better choice, is that true?

You tend to get better value with the Ryzens, the question will be what your priority is. Intel has felt the head from AMD and the pricing and core counts have been becoming more aggressive. For example, the latest generation i3s are now 4 cores, 8 threads, which would have been unheard of for an i3 not too long ago. I'd wait to make a decision until you're thinking about pulling the trigger.