Question Future-proofing my PC and specific CPU benefit questions

Apr 21, 2019
Hello,

I'm at a point where I'm no longer happy with my current CPU. I have an i5 6600k and I recently upgraded almost every other party of my PC, so I'm now stuck with the following system

i5 6600k
ROG strix rtx 2080
32gb ddr4 2400mhz
Samsung evo 850 m.2 + some larger ssds for games + a 3tb hdd 7200 for bulk storage

I run three 1080p 60hz monitors, and that's where my questions really begin.
I usually have a 1080p video running one one screen and a messenger / website / whatever open on the other screen, so my CPU and GPU never really get to focus fully on gaming performance and I'd like to keep it that way.
I don't need the CPU / GPU for anything other than leisure time, I require only basic office applications for my job, so it's all about the entertainment part.
I hardly ever render videos (once a month perhaps...)

Spending 100€ more or less doesn't really make too much of a difference, but I don't want to waste it either, obviously.
So I'm thinking about either getting an i9 9900k, i7 9700k or i5 9600k.

-How would my use case of basically triple-monitor media consumption benefit from the 8 cores?
-Since single-core performance is pretty similar between the three (as in: they're all a huge upgrade compared to my 6600k), would I even notice the difference?
-How many cores do games actually reliably use at this point? I've noticed my CPU running at almost 95% without videos playing in the background when playing the very recently-released Anno 1800.

Also: Since I need a z3xx motherboard for the newer-generation CPUs, should I just get a 370 model or a 390? My next major upgrade is going to take place in 3-4 years, so I assume I'll have to get a new motherboard at that point anyway, so I don't know how much "future-proofing by getting a 390" would actually matter.

Thank you very much.

Lutfij

Titan
When asking for an upgrade suggestion, it's best for us to learn what you're currently working with. You should ideally list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

That being said, if you're not gaming on the platform, you're fine as is, i.e, without knowing what the make and model of your motherboard is.