Future Seagate SSDs Will Use ''Memory Modem''

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Seagate is not my favorite company, but I don't despise them either. Them investing in their own approach to SSD development is excellent for the market, just like Samsung going their own way, with Marvell, Intel, Sandforce and OCZ/Indilinx...

Kind of sad it took them this long to get their feet wet...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Seagate is not my favorite company, but I don't despise them either. Them investing in their own approach to SSD development is excellent for the market, just like Samsung going their own way, with Marvell, Intel, Sandforce and OCZ/Indilinx... Kind of sad it took them this long to get their feet wet...[/citation]

i dont like seagate drives, after after having 4 fail and being on my 5th and 6th replacement drives, i have only 1 thing to say, their warranties kick ass, at least the one im on. as for the drives, a secondary backup is a must.

as for the drives... i dont need them to be more than 100mb read and write, so long as io operations are still high and the seek time is insanely low, 1ms or less, i would buy them. i have a use for a low speed storage if the seek time is fast.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

with that kind of reliability track record i would would never buy a seagate drive .. western digital is my all time favorite next to hitachi .. had both drives well over 3 years and neither of them have had any issues just saying .. samsung was one of the best drives you could get..

[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]with that kind of reliability track record i would would never buy a seagate drive .. western digital is my all time favorite next to hitachi .. had both drives well over 3 years and neither of them have had any issues just saying .. samsung was one of the best drives you could get..[/citation]

I just got rid of two Seagate 120GB Barracudas that were 8 years old and still good per every diag I could run on them.

Have two 5 year old 500GB Seagates in my home machine with no issues at all.

I don't think Seagate is as bad as everyone makes them out to be, there are still worse.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]fatality1515[/nom]"Based in Israel..." Good to know! I will boycott this drive.. Israel receives from the US $3.09 billion a year (or an average of $8.5 million a day) in aid.. Israel is not poor, and doesn't need this money.. Yet the Jewish lobby makes a wonderful job milking billions out of Americans each year, for many decades.. Greedy scumbags! They will not get a penny out of me...[/citation]
Earth to fatality1515 - The US gives 3.09 billion $ "Voucher". Israel must spend this money to purchase from US factories. Do you really think that its all about some lobby? that kind of anti semi mixed with ignorance.

I got a better idea - lets talk about the addiction to fossil fuel and the Arab lobby, shall we?

I thought the exact same thing, but people call many communications interfaces "modems", even if they do not deal with analog on one end. Most do not know it is short for modulator-demodulator.

That aside, the tech does look good.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
megiv you must be some unsatisfied jew since you brought up "arabs".. It's a well known fact that Israel gets flooded with money from the US and this has been going on for many decades. I guess they need all this cash to build fancy houses on the Palestinian territory.. and yes... There is such a thing called the jewish lobby.. You can call the aid a "voucher" or whatever you want, but they're still receiving money they don't deserve and don't need!

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
fatality1515 , I didn't say that we ain't got lobby, I said that its irrelevant because they money is beneficial to both sides. Here -
1) http://www.dsca.osd.mil/home/foreign_military_sales.htm for further info on the support.
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel%E2%80%93United_States_military_relations

And if you want to get into politics in Tom's, you need to study history before you comment - the Palestinians are actually a mixture of Jordanians and Egyptians, and they fled their homes in 1948 after declaring and losing the war in 1947 with Israel....Open history books for further eye-opening stuff.

CollegeisaScam

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Sandforce Controllers already do this. They account for the use of cheaper Nand memory being used for drives. However, all manufacturers of SSDs have been cautious to use anything but premium memory modules. For example: 120 GB SSDs (they are actually 128, but 8 GB is used for redundancy in the event that one of the other memory modules goes bad). This feature has been disabled on some larger drives such as 256 GB and 512 GB (opposed to 240 GB and 480 GB sizes). This increases effective capacity at the cost of additional redundancy.

So anyway, way to be late to the show...And way to use outdated terminology "modem" memory.....right...

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Wonder why WD isn't producing SSDs by now. The only one I've seen were the enterprise SSDs they introduced several years ago, then they were pulled from Newegg and Amazon either for poor sales or tech reasons. Still waiting for them to produce Caviar Black SSDs.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fatality1515[/nom]megiv you must be some unsatisfied jew since you brought up "arabs".. It's a well known fact that Israel gets flooded with money from the US and this has been going on for many decades. I guess they need all this cash to build fancy houses on the Palestinian territory.. and yes... There is such a thing called the jewish lobby.. You can call the aid a "voucher" or whatever you want, but they're still receiving money they don't deserve and don't need![/citation]
menz if you're going to start labeling people, be prepared to go on the defensive camel, america gives just as much aid to egypt as they do isreal, so before you become all hell bent out of shape admiral general aladeen, they aren't the only ones we give aid to in the middle east, and despite all the palestinian terrorist hijacking and blowing up western planes we haven't cut out the aid to palestinians designated to them thru isreal.
you need to sit down and study history for the last 3 thousand years before you are even qualified to make a rational let alone informed decision on isreal, the last 100 years alone is enough to make you go nuts.
that whole region as been at in constant state of war with it's neighbors for over 3,000 years, and from what i see they are fighting over a desolate wasteland not even worth living in, and here they are killing each other over it for over 3,000 years. i do not wonder at why they have never evolved beyond the iron age on their own.
as far as i have seen isreal has more than earned that money as the test ground for all new american military weapons each and every year since 1947. the paltry 3 billion per year to test out how viable and functional our war machines and tactics has actually saved us trillions, and believe it or not, the isrealis have even improved our designs and are actually pretty decent innovators. they help intel develop their processors, and to see other computer tech innovations come out of isreal makes it even better.
even the british have to concede it was worth losing america over to gain electricity, lights, telephones, radio, television and computers.

fatality1515 i hear you in not wanting to be involved with this never ending mess in the middle east. i'm all for letting them wipe each other out the slow, painful, psychotic way, or all the rest of us just getting sick and tired of their bickering and turning the entire region into glass and uninhabitable for the next 10,000 or so years.
or is it better to try and bring peace, understanding, tolerance, and forgiveness and share what we have found and learned with them?

yes arms dealers from america, europe, russia, china and persia get in the way but a wise man once said
We are not to expect to be translated from despotism to liberty in a featherbed.
Thomas Jefferson

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
By the way f-14, it's Israel not Isreal. Also if I ever find anyone stupid enough to purchase a TLC drive vs a MLC or SLC I will slap them.

Status
Not open for further replies.