Future: Switching from 3 gb/s to 6 gb/s

LetsOlympics

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I'm putting the finishing touches on my PC and I've run into a problem with my SSD.

The computer does not detect it while it's plugged into the SATA3 port but it is picked up while in the SATA2 port. I'm guessing it's something to do with my tinkering with the BIOS a couple hours ago; an activity I do not want to do again.

I just read the article comparing speeds between 3gb/s and 6gb/s and I'm actually okay with sticking to 3 gb/s seeing as my SSD (the Intel one in the tests) provides either the same or only 2-3 seconds faster loading across their three trials. However, if I ever decide to want to switch it to the SATA 3 port, will it actually be as simple as changing one or two options in BIOS or will it be difficult after I store some data on it? Or is it even possible?

Motherboard: ASRock H61M USB3
SSD: Intel 320 300GB
On Windows 7

Solution

Yup it should work fine in IDE. If you want your SSD to run 6gb/s in SATA3 you will have to re-install your OS in AHCI. You should be able to run it just fine IDE in SATA3. Unless someone wants to correct me I believe this to be true.

trispir

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Are you trying to add the SSD to your current system as an extra drive for storage? Depending on whether your PC is set up in IDE or AHCI you may have to change the SSD settings accordingly in the BIOS.

LetsOlympics

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, I'll probably use it exclusively for games. I don't even desire having the OS on the SSD, either.

I thought I chose whether to set up in IDE or AHCI? "SATA" is currently IDE and "SATA3" is set to AHCI.

trispir

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
If you installed your OS in IDE and your SSD is plugged into SATA3 then you will have to change the SSD settings to IDE. Your OS is most likely installed in IDE because of your previous non-SATA3 hardware.

LetsOlympics

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
okay. Theoretically the SSD should run fine if it's plugged into the SATA3 when its' set to IDE, yeah?

I'll try that now. If i don't come back giving you "best answer" something terribly wrong has happened. haha...but seriously.

trispir

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Yup it should work fine in IDE. If you want your SSD to run 6gb/s in SATA3 you will have to re-install your OS in AHCI. You should be able to run it just fine IDE in SATA3. Unless someone wants to correct me I believe this to be true.

Solution