Future Video Cards

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, this is the result of a idea from "HolyGrenade". I thought it was a good one. This will hopefully be the thread where everyone can bring in their specs/opinions of the next-gen video cards like P10/G1000/Parhelia 512/NV30/R300 and the like. Now, let's get this thread started!

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

tsoek

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
G1000 is what I am looking forward to!

"4 rendering pipelines with 4 TMU per each one;
DirectX 9 support. It also includes Pixel Shaders and Vertex Shaders 2.0 as well as all the other features of the new API from Microsoft such as Displacement Mapping and increased to 40-bit color-depth. Since DirectX 9 shaders require more power compared to the previous versions, the 4 vertex shaders pipelines will be implemented in the chip.
What is quite interesting, Matrox will introduce 512-bit 2D graphics core – a big leap forward in contrast to the modern graphics processors.
A typical videocard will be a Millenium G1000 and it will include 256 MB of DDR SDRAM memory. As with the 3Dlabs` P10, 256-bit bus-width will be used.
Of course, the GPU will have dual 400 MHz RAMDACs, support AGP 8X and other important features of a next-gen graphics processor."
I like the stats!

aces170

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
but isnt that card, a workstation class card, why would even a hardcore gamer buy a card prices higher than 1000$!!!

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Bragging rights? How do you know this is aimed at workstations? Personnally, I think GF4 cards are priced like workstation cards.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The 3DLabs P10 is slated to be a workstation GPU, though they are debating a "Low end" version of it for the general public to be put out by Creative.

The G1000, I've only seen rumors of it, screenshotts of websites, ect, so don't know how true it is.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The P10 is like nVidia's tech model. The same chip is used to drive GeForce and Quadro cards. ATI is also jumping onto that model. They won't have anymore seperate designs for their workstation stuff they acquired.

So, the P10 will be used in the same manner. Keep in mind the Oxygen series based on the P10 will be cheaper than their Quadro counterparts from nVidia. Whats to say the mainstream cards under the creative labs brand won't be substancially cheaper than the Geforce cards?

<font color=red><b>A man is only as old as the woman he feels</b></font color=red>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
What about the offerings from Trident and SiS. I hear Trident has a dx8.1 chip that consumes less than 3watts. SiS is also making a dx8.1 card that is supposed to compete with the lower end geforce4mx's on price but the ti series on features and performance. SiS are also supposed to be implementing nVidia style unified drivers.

These smalltimers kinda struggle to edge into the limelight getting sidelined by the big players. I thought they deserved a mention. Can't recall what the cards called though.

Can somebody find a feature list and post them. Or I'll see what I can do later.

<font color=red><b>A man is only as old as the woman he feels</b></font color=red>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
The SIS chipset was suposed to be released sometime soon, and was also suposed to be the first AGP 8X chip as well, but I haven't heard anything about it in about a month.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Heres a table showing what the next gen cards may have.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/2502table.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/2502table.htm</A>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Looked at the chart and one thing I found was that the R300 was put at Q1 2003... while the NV30 was at Q4 2002. ATi has already said that their RV250 and R300 will come out before Nvidia's NV18 and NV30 respectively. Also, it says the Nvidia NV30 will have 256bit DDR RAM, which would put it at even higher bandwidth than P10/Parhelia since RAM speeds will be around 700-750MHz. Plus with the bandwidth saving features, this'll truely be a beast.

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Do you think it is a good idea to get a ti4400 in the next few weeks when these next gen cards are close behind? Maybe I should wait to upgrade my voodoo3 3000 ;)

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I would wait for these cards to come out and then get a ti4400 for cheap, or get the 3DLabs or the Matrox card if they are significantly cheaper than the ATI or nVidia cards.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I extremely doubt that the Parhelia/P10 wold be cheaper than the Nvidia/ATi cards. Maybe cheaper than the Quadro/FireGL cards, but not cheaper than the R300/NV30 consumer cards. By the time NV30/R300 comes out, the technology used in the 3DLabs or Matrox cards shouldn't be so revolutionary and since the NV30/R300 should provide much better performance, I'd say go for a lower version of those. (Like the Ti4400 or Ti4200) That way you'd get the next generation technology in a card that doesn't cost you your shirt. If you look at the prices of the Ti500/Ti200 a little while back, you'll notice that they were quite a bit more expensive than the equal performing card of the GF4 series. So I'd say that maybe the next-gen cards could be equal or cheaper in price than the GF4s in 1/2 a year.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Both Creative Labs and Matrox want to get into the gaming consumer sector. A place dominated by nVidia with ATI a little behind. ATI knows enough to price their cards lower. I'm sure the two entrants would also know to do the same. While it is true that both chips can drive professional 3d cards, but the case is same with ATI and nVidia. They use exactly the same chip for both purposes but the price of the final gaming cards are much lower than the professional cards (ATI is adopting this model). I don't see why the same cannot be true for Matrox and 3DLabs.

3D Labs will first release their professional range of cards which is likely to be pretty expensive, but when the consumer cards under the creative labs brands are released 4th quarter of this year, they'll have to be much cheaper than the nv30 to be a success of any sort. And I think they will be cheaper. Same goes for Matrox. They may have some pretty cool features, but I don't think they're naive enough to think they can price comfortably against ATI or nVidia.

TRENDING THREADS