Futuremark 'Time Spy' DX12 Benchmark Coming Early 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"Futuremark’s 3DMark product manager, presented a short trailer of the upcoming Time Spy benchmark tool, which will be added to the 3DMark benchmark in early part of 2016."

So will this be an update to the existing version of 3DMark? That would be pretty sick.

Piki__

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I remember when benchamrsk were pretty accurate. 2 or 3 years ago. I remember how some AMD vs NVIDIA cards were standing. Some times ago I have noticed a big jump in NVIDIA scores that did not reflect that well with benchmarks in games. I have a suspicion that this scores have been rigged. Mybe NVIDIA logo is there for a reason.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I remember when benchamrsk were pretty accurate. 2 or 3 years ago. I remember how some AMD vs NVIDIA cards were standing. Some times ago I have noticed a big jump in NVIDIA scores that did not reflect that well with benchmarks in games. I have a suspicion that this scores have been rigged. Mybe NVIDIA logo is there for a reason.

Old Futuremark benchmarks increased the score if the card could do Physx, Since AMD cards did not do Physx back in those days, they got lower scores.

Later on, Physx was taken out the scoring completely after much uproar from the overclocking community

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
People make the mistake of still making Futuremark or w/e Mark a benchmark guideline.

If real life gaming scenarios taught us something is that no game will perform the same with each GPU. I don`t even get it why would you buy a GPU based on Futuremark scores ... are you going to play Futuremark with the GPU or actual games? Also benchmarks scores can be driver optimized to get better scores while gaming is the same ...This is proven by lots of gaming benchmarks on YT.

Just think about it, do you care about 3D Mark scores of over 9000!!! or do you care about 10-20- 50 FPS more in the game that you actually play?

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
People make the mistake of still making Futuremark or w/e Mark a benchmark guideline.

If real life gaming scenarios taught us something is that no game will perform the same with each GPU. I don`t even get it why would you buy a GPU based on Futuremark scores ... are you going to play Futuremark with the GPU or actual games? Also benchmarks scores can be driver optimized to get better scores while gaming is the same ...This is proven by lots of gaming benchmarks on YT.

Just think about it, do you care about 3D Mark scores of over 9000!!! or do you care about 10-20- 50 FPS more in the game that you actually play?

I would use it when I upgrade my video card, test it before and after, just so I can say to myself I spent all that money and got X amount of increased FPS

The company was clear with us that the logos were there for the Galax event and not its own presentation, so the Nvidia part was purely coincidental.

You should actually try READING the articles in future.

For me, Futuremark's benchmarks are in the "hey that looks neat" category. When I was into it, I was far more impressed by doing huge gpgpu calculations with cuda or opencl. Make sure that puppy can actually last to the end with accuracy.

I don't know what is a good, readily available benchmark anymore that comes close to representing actual gameplay. Developers these days always seem to go over their performance budget. I imagine them huddled around the screen, egging each other on to squeeze in one more asset or effect to make it look perfect or something.

Anyway, my preferred benchmark analysis stresses the importance of the minimum fps score. Time and time again, I see the particular hardware combinations leading here while maybe losing the avg and maximum fps. That's fine by me.

Futuremark needs to get more sponsors from all the major players in the field, and get a full-featured benchmark out there at zero cost. The exception would be business licenses only. On principle, I just refuse to pay for this due to its inaccuracies and being more of a spectacle than anything truly important.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I probably wont try this for a year or so. Waiting for enough (more then 0) good DX12 games to come out before going WIN10. No reason to upgrade from WIN7 yet. I tried it but nothing there special and also the privacy issues aren't nice. I'm more interested in DX12.1 which is rumored to allow for new eye candy. DX12 allows for more frames but not better graphics necessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.