Question Fuzziness @ 1080p - Monitor issue, video card issue, or no issue at all?

Mar 20, 2019
Some backstory before getting into it: I built a PC back in April of 2017 and for the longest time I was using it on my 55" 1080p 60Hz Vizio TV. I never noticed any graphics issues or fuzziness. Recently I unpacked my office and got my desk set up so I could game in there. I bought a cheap Acer monitor that had extremely positive reviews (23.8" @ 1080p / 4ms / 60Hz). I was playing Black Desert Online and just started playing The Division 2 (usually hovers around 57-60fps) and both games just look fuzzy/granular and not anywhere near what I'm used to. I tested out a friend's 24" @1080p / 1ms / 144Hz monitor and didn't notice a huge difference in graphical quality.

So there could be a few different problems...
  1. Bad monitor
    • I think I've narrowed it down to "no" on this because I've tried multiple monitors and they're all the same.
  2. Bad video card
    • I feel like it's unlikely, but this one is driving me crazy.
  3. The problem could be me too (AKA "no issue at all")
    • I work as a designer so I'm used to staring at ultra crisp Mac displays all day every day.
    • When I had my setup on the TV I was sitting way back on the couch, so I was sitting further back
    • I haven't actually gamed at a desk with a monitor since like 2008/2009. Maybe this is just how 1080p looks?
My PC specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
Radeon RX580 Gaming 8gb
16gb DDR4 2400 memory
ASUS PRIME B350 motherboard
250gb SSD for OS / 1tb HDD for everything else

------------------

I've been driving myself crazy trying to think of why it looks so bad, and have come to the conclusion that I think I am just a snob not used to 1080p anymore... so my real question has become should I purchase a 1440p monitor? They say the RX580 is built more for 1080p gaming, so I'd have to lower settings to high instead of ultra... but I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me on the subject could tell me if 1440p would help with the fuzziness or if I am better off staying with what I have until I can afford to upgrade the video card for 1440p/4k gaming.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if I sound crazy... in fact "you're crazy" is a perfectly valid response to this :p

Last edited: