[SOLVED] Fuzziness / Contrast / Ripples / Sharpness issue?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hey folks,

Just seeking some advise even though I might not even be able to explain it properly as I dont even know how to explain it, so I've attached a video of the issue, but due to the quality of it I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell, but either way I got this monitor a week ago: "ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM 24.5” Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz , G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, 1ms, DisplayHDR™ 400, Eye Care, DisplayPort HDMI" with I7 9700K - RTX 2070 - and worked like a charm for a week, but suddenly this morning either before or after windows update, dont know, possibly unrelated, something happened color vise.

When I dont touch anything with my mouse cursor on screen its all perfectly fine, but when you move an object, such as in the video, or in game, you can see some sort of ripples or contrast issue, fuzziness? I openned a few games and when I stare at the wall standing in front of it picture's clear, but as soon as i move left/right while staring at the wall it kind of changes its color, or not the color, but its sharpness, it has some sort of a fuzzy acid effect as if you are purposely applying some sort of a video effect while creating a movie or something, i cant even explain it properly, sorry, cant think of the right words, wanted to give an ingame example, but afraid due to quality it'd be awful, so ya, if anyone has at least an idea what i might be talking about that'd be awesome! It's like literally picture is fine, colors and all is fine, its literally you perform an action and it all kind of blurs or not sure, yet my monitor's settings are set correctly, i have no blur, not using any specific filters, so ya, dont know, but its really disturbing to the eyes.

I've reseated display cable, restarted, changed from 280hz to 144hz and no change, disabled gsynch to try without, no change, doesnt seem to be a gamma management issue where i did try to lower brightness a bit the other day, but that didnt cause any issues, i deleted both display color management profiles, tried downloading an ISP color callibration profile to see if that helps specifically for this monitor, but no change. Issue is somewhere else.

Could it be the new display port cord that came with the monitor or the screen itself that i should return?

Thanks

If you're gonna be viewing the video try to concentrate on the actual words at the top where you see "Pin To" etc, stare at one thing, and see if you can feel exactly what I mean by looking at a clear as day looking words, then as you move the thing, the color drops and kind of fuzzes or becomes kind of acidy?

Below is an example I just made up on purpose via windows movie maker, this is NOT what I see, i just randomly added a couple of effects of how the color changes in game from normal to that acidy one, but its not as bad as on my example, in game or in windows its not really changing to what you see on the below screenshots, but its still disturbing enoguh for the eyes to notice.

NORMAL

3.png

NOT NORMAL

1.png

NOT NORMAL

2.png

Once again its not really whats happenning, but approximetely thats what i mean when i say picture changes to something fuzzy or bright with acid ripples or what not for just mini seconds as you move away from staring at an object in game, while moving its happenning, when staying still its not.

any ideas are appreciated :)

Last edited:
Solution
I think I might have found the answer to my problem which I'm not even sure was the problem now, but either way it looks like it was my monitor's "OverDrive" setting being set to 80 out of 100 allowed. I am still not sure how I was not noticing this in the past 5 days since that's when I got the monitor, which makes me wonder if that was the only issue or there is something else wrong aside from OD's setting, but when I lowered "OverDrive" directly via my monitor's settings from 80 to 60 - it seemed to eliminate all that ghosting/blurriness/acidness I saw.

I've also found a proper phrasing to my problem on the net: "Monitor ghosting occurs when an image artifact appears as a trail of pixels behind a moving object, almost...

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
I think I might have found the answer to my problem which I'm not even sure was the problem now, but either way it looks like it was my monitor's "OverDrive" setting being set to 80 out of 100 allowed. I am still not sure how I was not noticing this in the past 5 days since that's when I got the monitor, which makes me wonder if that was the only issue or there is something else wrong aside from OD's setting, but when I lowered "OverDrive" directly via my monitor's settings from 80 to 60 - it seemed to eliminate all that ghosting/blurriness/acidness I saw.

I've also found a proper phrasing to my problem on the net: "Monitor ghosting occurs when an image artifact appears as a trail of pixels behind a moving object, almost like a motion blur. This is referred to as ghosting because it creates a trace of the image that looks like a ghost."

"Too much overdrive can introduce inverse ghosting or pixel overshoot, so don't use it unless you experience excessive smearing in fast-paced games. Therefore, it is advised that you should only use the overdrive in display monitors when you experience excessive smearing while playing the fast-paced games . With higher refresh rate displays, overdrive is necessary for the optimal gaming experience. Unfortunately, not all monitors have overdrive settings, so if your monitor doesn't have it, you can't adjust for lesser ghosting"

With all the above said I am now happy and confused at the same time and am not sure should I lower it to even 40 from 60 or completely to 0 or as long as I see no issues on it being at 60 I shall be fine? There is still something that tells me I should return the monitor before its too late, but I dont know now, I couldnt find specific videos on ppl explaining this feature on youtube, if somone has other ideas or could prove the above be true or false I'd appreciate :)

Solution