fuzzy horizontal lines in some games (MWO) after upgrading to R9 270

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
So just upgraded from 6670 and was very excited to try it out. MWO is what im playing most atmo, and as soon as I started the game there is faint fuzzy horizontal lines, sort of in waves moving vertically on screen, it isnt terrible, but its there.
It isnt present on desktop, in furmark, or Sins Of A Solar empire (will try other games, want to test another cryengine powered game). Definately wasnt present with 6670.
Definately NOT present in loading screens on game either.

My monitor is about 12 months old, its a Samsung 19" budget job, SA300 only has VGA no HDMI running at 1600x900..
Is the problem essentially I have upgraded my GPU beyond my monitor??

Any advice would be great thanks.

noahhicks

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
OOh, I am still rocking the 6670! Waiting for the R9 pricing nonsense to settle down before moving on.

So the lines are fuzzy? It's not tearing, like can happen if vsync is turned off?

Certainly a digital port (DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort) would result in a crisper picture.

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Well I got a good deal on it, otherwise would have waited :)
Na definately not tearing. Going to try a HDMI to VGA cable as its only couple quid, and going to try and get my hands on a monitor with HDMI input to just try.

noahhicks

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Watch out! HDMI to VGA cables are usually fake...

HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. Therefore, a cable for that needs to have some sort of active adapter as part of it. Active adapters are usually large and require their own power supply (wall wart).

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Ah! Well I feel daft.... Thanks for heads up, makes sense now I think about it.....

Seems you can get a GENUINE HDMI to VGA for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Or again am I back to new monitor for a proper fix?

Thanks

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Done a bit more research, my brother has the same issue using his 7790 with DVI convertor and VGA cable to his monitor. Read a few other forums with the same issue, people upgrade GPU and find on some games these faint horizontal lines.

A similar issue

http://www.overclock.net/t/1408832/horizontal-lines-tearing-not-vsync

Would it be logical to assume this is a an issue (a relatively small one in all honesty) with the 7000 series (and R9 200's being based on 7870 I think?) using DVI/VGA cable??

I hope someone can give a better explanation than me :) But anyway the only real fix is to get a monitor with HDMI port it seems, just wanted.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else having same issues :)

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Tested on TV with HDMI input, its fine (although older TV so only at 720) am taking system to mates house this morning to try on monitor and do exactly that Kevin :) Ill report back later

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Tried on LG 1080p TV/monitor (sorry cant be more specific I forgot to get details!). With HDMI picture is fine, with VGA picture is also fine! Tried on my brothers monitor with VGA, aaaaand fuzzy lines...... Dont know why or what exactly the issue is, but seems it is just a compatibility issue, some of the 'more powerful' cards (relatively speaking of course) dont seem to mix too well with some slightly older/budget monitors (I mean slightly, mine is only 12 months old, samsung LED SA300, I THOUGHT it was half decent).

Now need to persuade the wife I 'need' a new monitor.......