[Fwd: D-Link router DI-514 (wireless plus 4 ports) hell]

I was whining in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and someone referred me here.

I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't even
work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the WAN, or
just locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and power-cycle
everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power off/on, and it
might work or might not. If it works, it won't work for very long.
When using the D-Link, I can't see local network. I've disabled
ZoneAlarm, just in case it was blocking stuff, and that didn't help.

I did get the wireless part to work intermittantly. The signal strength
is nearly 100%, but I can only connect at 1 or 2 Mbps, and then the
thruput is actually a lot slower than that. Then it locks up. Or it
won't serve DHCP addresess.

Anything I should try before I throw it away?
Is there a different brand that I should try next time?

Bob

JM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:36:41 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> I was whining in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and someone referred me here.
>
> I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't even
> work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the WAN, or just
> locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and power-cycle
> everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power off/on, and it
> might work or might not. If it works, it won't work for very long. When
> using the D-Link, I can't see local network. I've disabled ZoneAlarm,
> just in case it was blocking stuff, and that didn't help.
>
> I did get the wireless part to work intermittantly. The signal strength
> is nearly 100%, but I can only connect at 1 or 2 Mbps, and then the
> thruput is actually a lot slower than that. Then it locks up. Or it
> won't serve DHCP addresess.
>
> Anything I should try before I throw it away? Is there a different brand
> that I should try next time?
>
> Bob

Rev A, B or C?
Firmware version?
http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp
If you have not upgraded to the newer firmware that would be a start due
to the issue with:
¤ Fixed connectivity issue with Intel Centrino Products
¤ Fixed issues with DHCP, DDNS, and NTP
with A/B &
¤ Fixed Asheron's Call II reboot issue
¤ Fixed custom Virtual Server conflict when using predefined ports
¤ Fixed broadcast "GeorgeAP22"issues when Wireless Radio is disabled
with rev C.
--
NEMO SALTAT SOBRIUS NISI FORTE INSANIT.

JM wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:36:41 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>

>>I was whining in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and someone referred me here.
>>
>>I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't even
>>work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the WAN, or just
>>locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and power-cycle
>>everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power off/on, and it
>>might work or might not. If it works, it won't work for very long. When
>>using the D-Link, I can't see local network. I've disabled ZoneAlarm,
>>just in case it was blocking stuff, and that didn't help.
>>
>>I did get the wireless part to work intermittantly. The signal strength
>>is nearly 100%, but I can only connect at 1 or 2 Mbps, and then the
>>thruput is actually a lot slower than that. Then it locks up. Or it
>>won't serve DHCP addresess.
>>
>>Anything I should try before I throw it away? Is there a different brand
>>that I should try next time?
>>
>>Bob
>

> Rev A, B or C?
> Firmware version?
> http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp
> If you have not upgraded to the newer firmware that would be a start due
> to the issue with:
> ¤ Fixed connectivity issue with Intel Centrino Products
> ¤ Fixed issues with DHCP, DDNS, and NTP
> with A/B &
> ¤ Fixed Asheron's Call II reboot issue
> ¤ Fixed custom Virtual Server conflict when using predefined ports
> ¤ Fixed broadcast "GeorgeAP22"issues when Wireless Radio is disabled
> with rev C.

Rev. B. I upgraded the firmware, did a reset (stabbed it in the back
with a paperclip :), and I set the MTU size to 1400. It may be working
better, I'm not really sure yet. The wireless speed is as slow as
dial-up. That's from about 3 feet away with a direct line-of-sight.

BTW, there are no 2.4Ghz cordless phones in the house, just 900 MHz.

I shoulda just set up an ad-hoc network and kept using my wired router.

Bob

JM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:06:34 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> JM wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:36:41 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>>

>>>I was whining in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, and someone referred me here.
>>>
>>>I just bought this POS and have been trying to set it up. It won't even
>>>work reliably as a wired router -- it keeps dropping from the WAN, or
>>>just locking up. I plug my old Linksys router back in and power-cycle
>>>everything and it works. I put the D-Link back, power off/on, and it
>>>might work or might not. If it works, it won't work for very long. When
>>>using the D-Link, I can't see local network. I've disabled ZoneAlarm,
>>>just in case it was blocking stuff, and that didn't help.
>>>
>>>I did get the wireless part to work intermittantly. The signal strength
>>>is nearly 100%, but I can only connect at 1 or 2 Mbps, and then the
>>>thruput is actually a lot slower than that. Then it locks up. Or it
>>>won't serve DHCP addresess.
>>>
>>>Anything I should try before I throw it away? Is there a different brand
>>>that I should try next time?
>>>
>>>Bob
>>

>> Rev A, B or C?
>> Firmware version?
>> http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp If you have not upgraded
>> to the newer firmware that would be a start due to the issue with:
>> ¤ Fixed connectivity issue with Intel Centrino Products ¤ Fixed issues
>> with DHCP, DDNS, and NTP with A/B &
>> ¤ Fixed Asheron's Call II reboot issue ¤ Fixed custom Virtual Server
>> conflict when using predefined ports ¤ Fixed broadcast
>> "GeorgeAP22"issues when Wireless Radio is disabled with rev C.
>
> Rev. B. I upgraded the firmware, did a reset (stabbed it in the back with
> a paperclip :), and I set the MTU size to 1400. It may be working
> better, I'm not really sure yet. The wireless speed is as slow as
> dial-up. That's from about 3 feet away with a direct line-of-sight.
>
> BTW, there are no 2.4Ghz cordless phones in the house, just 900 MHz.
>
> I shoulda just set up an ad-hoc network and kept using my wired router.
>
> Bob

Try with the MTU set at 1500 which should be the same as your CAT5.
If you are using XP home, make sure the SSID Broadcast is turned on.
Have you tried a different channel?
Turn off WEP and try.
Do you know of any one else in the area with a B/G AP?
--

JM wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:06:34 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>

>>JM wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:36:41 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

>>>Rev A, B or C?
>>>Firmware version?
>>>http://support.dlink.com/products/revision.asp If you have not upgraded
>>>to the newer firmware that would be a start due to the issue with:
>>>¤ Fixed connectivity issue with Intel Centrino Products ¤ Fixed issues
>>>with DHCP, DDNS, and NTP with A/B &
>>>¤ Fixed Asheron's Call II reboot issue ¤ Fixed custom Virtual Server
>>>conflict when using predefined ports ¤ Fixed broadcast
>>>"GeorgeAP22"issues when Wireless Radio is disabled with rev C.
>>
>>Rev. B. I upgraded the firmware, did a reset (stabbed it in the back with
>>a paperclip :), and I set the MTU size to 1400. It may be working
>>better, I'm not really sure yet. The wireless speed is as slow as
>>dial-up. That's from about 3 feet away with a direct line-of-sight.
>>
>>BTW, there are no 2.4Ghz cordless phones in the house, just 900 MHz.
>>
>>I shoulda just set up an ad-hoc network and kept using my wired router.
>>
>>Bob
>

> Try with the MTU set at 1500 which should be the same as your CAT5.
> If you are using XP home, make sure the SSID Broadcast is turned on.

I'm using Win 2000 Pro.

> Have you tried a different channel?

Yes I tried channel 4, but not since I upgraded the firmware.

> Turn off WEP and try.

WEP? Is that the encryption stuff? I have it disabled. Everything is
defaulted except the MTU size.

> Do you know of any one else in the area with a B/G AP?

Yes, there's a coffee shop a few miles away that has an open wireless
network. I tested the wireless card there a few weeks ago.

I think it's time for a gin and tonic Big Gulp®, and try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,
Bob

JM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:26:58 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> JM wrote:

>>>Rev. B. I upgraded the firmware, did a reset (stabbed it in the back
>>>with a paperclip :), and I set the MTU size to 1400. It may be working
>>>better, I'm not really sure yet. The wireless speed is as slow as
>>>dial-up. That's from about 3 feet away with a direct line-of-sight.
>>>
>>>BTW, there are no 2.4Ghz cordless phones in the house, just 900 MHz.
>>>
>>>I shoulda just set up an ad-hoc network and kept using my wired router.
>>>
>>>Bob
>>

>> Try with the MTU set at 1500 which should be the same as your CAT5. If
>> you are using XP home, make sure the SSID Broadcast is turned on.
>
> I'm using Win 2000 Pro.
>
>> Have you tried a different channel?
>
> Yes I tried channel 4, but not since I upgraded the firmware.
>
>> Turn off WEP and try.
>
> WEP? Is that the encryption stuff? I have it disabled. Everything is
> defaulted except the MTU size.
>
>> Do you know of any one else in the area with a B/G AP?
>
> Yes, there's a coffee shop a few miles away that has an open wireless
> network. I tested the wireless card there a few weeks ago.
>
> I think it's time for a gin and tonic Big Gulp®, and try again tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Bob

Make sure the SSID and the channel is the same on both the laptop and
the 514. Also use the laptop to see if there is another AP signal
interfering, you can download kismet to sniff for others.

--

JM wrote:

>>>Try with the MTU set at 1500 which should be the same as your CAT5. If
>>>you are using XP home, make sure the SSID Broadcast is turned on.
>>
>>I'm using Win 2000 Pro.
>>

>>>Have you tried a different channel?
>>
>>Yes I tried channel 4, but not since I upgraded the firmware.
>>

>>>Turn off WEP and try.
>>
>>WEP? Is that the encryption stuff? I have it disabled. Everything is
>>defaulted except the MTU size.
>>

>>>Do you know of any one else in the area with a B/G AP?
>>
>>Yes, there's a coffee shop a few miles away that has an open wireless
>>network. I tested the wireless card there a few weeks ago.
>>
>>I think it's time for a gin and tonic Big Gulp®, and try again tomorrow.
>>
>>Thanks for the help,
>>Bob
>

> Make sure the SSID and the channel is the same on both the laptop and
> the 514. Also use the laptop to see if there is another AP signal
> interfering, you can download kismet to sniff for others.

After updating the firmware, and not plugging any wires into the LAN,
the wireless seems to be working, but the throughput is terrible. With
just one computer on the network, and signal strength is over 80%, I'm
getting 29Kbps for image and 44Kbps for text -- that is worse than a 56K
modem. God help me when I connect a *2nd* computer to the network!
It's even that slow when I try to load pages from the DI-514 itself,
like the home page at 192.168.0.1, so I know the problem is not the WAN
configuration. WEP is disabled.

I'm going to try different channels, but other than that I don't know
what else to do.

When I switch 2 computers to use ad hoc networking, and internet
connection sharing, and use my old router, it's quite zippy. So I don't
think the problem is the wireless cards in the computers.

Bob

JM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:34:00 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

>>>I'm using Win 2000 Pro.

>>>Yes I tried channel 4, but not since I upgraded the firmware.

>>>WEP? Is that the encryption stuff? I have it disabled. Everything is
>>>defaulted except the MTU size.

>>>Yes, there's a coffee shop a few miles away that has an open wireless
>>>network. I tested the wireless card there a few weeks ago.
>>>
>>>I think it's time for a gin and tonic Big Gulp®, and try again
>>>tomorrow.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the help,
>>>Bob
>>

>> Make sure the SSID and the channel is the same on both the laptop and
>> the 514. Also use the laptop to see if there is another AP signal
>> interfering, you can download kismet to sniff for others.
>>

> After updating the firmware, and not plugging any wires into the LAN, the
> wireless seems to be working, but the throughput is terrible. With just
> one computer on the network, and signal strength is over 80%, I'm getting
> 29Kbps for image and 44Kbps for text -- that is worse than a 56K modem.
> God help me when I connect a *2nd* computer to the network! It's even that
> slow when I try to load pages from the DI-514 itself, like the home page
> at 192.168.0.1, so I know the problem is not the WAN configuration. WEP
> is disabled.
>
> I'm going to try different channels, but other than that I don't know what
> else to do.
>
> When I switch 2 computers to use ad hoc networking, and internet
> connection sharing, and use my old router, it's quite zippy. So I don't
> think the problem is the wireless cards in the computers.
>
> Bob

Is the SSID the same on the 2 computers and the DI-514?
IS the computers DNS setting 192.168.0.1 (DI-514 IP Address)?
What is the Basic rate set to on the Advanced tab of the 514?
What is the RTS and Fragmentation set to?

--

JM wrote:

>>>Make sure the SSID and the channel is the same on both the laptop and
>>>the 514. Also use the laptop to see if there is another AP signal
>>>interfering, you can download kismet to sniff for others.
>>>

>>After updating the firmware, and not plugging any wires into the LAN, the
>>wireless seems to be working, but the throughput is terrible. With just
>>one computer on the network, and signal strength is over 80%, I'm getting
>>29Kbps for image and 44Kbps for text -- that is worse than a 56K modem.
>>God help me when I connect a *2nd* computer to the network! It's even that
>>slow when I try to load pages from the DI-514 itself, like the home page
>>at 192.168.0.1, so I know the problem is not the WAN configuration. WEP
>>is disabled.
>>
>>I'm going to try different channels, but other than that I don't know what
>>else to do.
>>
>>When I switch 2 computers to use ad hoc networking, and internet
>>connection sharing, and use my old router, it's quite zippy. So I don't
>>think the problem is the wireless cards in the computers.
>>
>>Bob
>

> Is the SSID the same on the 2 computers and the DI-514?

Yes. "default"

> IS the computers DNS setting 192.168.0.1 (DI-514 IP Address)?

The computer DNS is set to obtain DNS server address automatically

> What is the Basic rate set to on the Advanced tab of the 514?
> What is the RTS and Fragmentation set to?

Wireless Performance
These are the Wireless Performance features for the AP(Access Point)
Portion.
Beacon interval 100
RTS Threshold : 2432
Fragmentation : 2346
DTIM interval : 3
Basic Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
TX Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
Preamble Type : Long Preamble
Authentication : Auto
SSID Broadcast : Enabled
Antenna transmit power: 100% 17dBm

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> JM wrote:

>>> After updating the firmware, and not plugging any wires into the LAN,
>>> the
>>> wireless seems to be working, but the throughput is terrible. With just
>>> one computer on the network, and signal strength is over 80%, I'm
>>> getting
>>> 29Kbps for image and 44Kbps for text -- that is worse than a 56K
>>> modem. God help me when I connect a *2nd* computer to the network!
>>> It's even that
>>> slow when I try to load pages from the DI-514 itself, like the home page
>>> at 192.168.0.1, so I know the problem is not the WAN configuration. WEP
>>> is disabled.
>>>
>>> I'm going to try different channels, but other than that I don't know
>>> what
>>> else to do.
>>>
>>> When I switch 2 computers to use ad hoc networking, and internet
>>> connection sharing, and use my old router, it's quite zippy. So I don't
>>> think the problem is the wireless cards in the computers.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>

>> Is the SSID the same on the 2 computers and the DI-514?
>

> Yes. "default"
>
>> IS the computers DNS setting 192.168.0.1 (DI-514 IP Address)?
>

> The computer DNS is set to obtain DNS server address automatically
>
>> What is the Basic rate set to on the Advanced tab of the 514?
>> What is the RTS and Fragmentation set to?
>>

> Wireless Performance
> These are the Wireless Performance features for the AP(Access Point)
> Portion.
> Beacon interval 100
> RTS Threshold : 2432
> Fragmentation : 2346
> DTIM interval : 3
> Basic Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
> TX Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
> Preamble Type : Long Preamble
> Authentication : Auto
> SSID Broadcast : Enabled
> Antenna transmit power: 100% 17dBm
>

> Best regards,
> Bob

I know I should change more than one thing at once, but on my laptop I
changed a few of the settings -- I changed preamble from auto to long,
turned Tx power from auto to 100%, and changed the Tx rate from auto (it
was connecting at 11) to 5.5. Now the throughput seems normal. I
haven't run any tests yet. Stay tuned...

Bob

JM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:24:56 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> JM wrote:

>>>After updating the firmware, and not plugging any wires into the LAN,
>>>the wireless seems to be working, but the throughput is terrible. With
>>>just one computer on the network, and signal strength is over 80%, I'm
>>>getting 29Kbps for image and 44Kbps for text -- that is worse than a 56K
>>>modem. God help me when I connect a *2nd* computer to the network! It's
>>>even that slow when I try to load pages from the DI-514 itself, like the
>>>home page at 192.168.0.1, so I know the problem is not the WAN
>>>configuration. WEP is disabled.
>>>
>>>I'm going to try different channels, but other than that I don't know
>>>what else to do.
>>>
>>>When I switch 2 computers to use ad hoc networking, and internet
>>>connection sharing, and use my old router, it's quite zippy. So I don't
>>>think the problem is the wireless cards in the computers.
>>>
>>>Bob
>>

>> Is the SSID the same on the 2 computers and the DI-514?
>
> Yes. "default"
>
>> IS the computers DNS setting 192.168.0.1 (DI-514 IP Address)?
>
> The computer DNS is set to obtain DNS server address automatically
>
>> What is the Basic rate set to on the Advanced tab of the 514? What is
>> the RTS and Fragmentation set to?
>>

> Wireless Performance
> These are the Wireless Performance features for the AP(Access Point)
> Portion.
> Beacon interval 100
> RTS Threshold : 2432
> Fragmentation : 2346
> DTIM interval : 3
> Basic Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
> TX Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
> Preamble Type : Long Preamble
> Authentication : Auto
> SSID Broadcast : Enabled
> Antenna transmit power: 100% 17dBm
>

> Best regards,
> Bob

Set the Preamble type to short to see if that speeds things up for you.
Are you by chance using PPPoE?
Other then that I would suggest installing Kismet on one of the computers
to see if there is any other access points in the area that are also using
the SSID 'default' that may be causing the slow down. If so use a unique
SSID when in infrastructure mode instead of ad-hoc.

--

JM wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:24:56 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>

>>JM wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:34:00 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

>>>Is the SSID the same on the 2 computers and the DI-514?
>>
>>Yes. "default"
>>

>>>IS the computers DNS setting 192.168.0.1 (DI-514 IP Address)?
>>
>>The computer DNS is set to obtain DNS server address automatically
>>

>>>What is the Basic rate set to on the Advanced tab of the 514? What is
>>>the RTS and Fragmentation set to?
>>>

>>Wireless Performance
>>These are the Wireless Performance features for the AP(Access Point)
>>Portion.
>>Beacon interval 100
>>RTS Threshold : 2432
>>Fragmentation : 2346
>>DTIM interval : 3
>>Basic Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
>>TX Rates : 1-2-5.5-11(Mbps)
>>Preamble Type : Long Preamble
>>Authentication : Auto
>>SSID Broadcast : Enabled
>>Antenna transmit power: 100% 17dBm
>>

>>Best regards,
>>Bob
>

> Set the Preamble type to short to see if that speeds things up for you.
> Are you by chance using PPPoE?
> Other then that I would suggest installing Kismet on one of the computers
> to see if there is any other access points in the area that are also using
> the SSID 'default' that may be causing the slow down. If so use a unique
> SSID when in infrastructure mode instead of ad-hoc.

I was running the throughput tests at http://toast.net/performance, and
it seems to crash the router whenever I try to load the "large image"
test...

Bob

JM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:28:24 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> I was running the throughput tests at http://toast.net/performance, and it
> seems to crash the router whenever I try to load the "large image" test...
>

> Bob

Bring the MTU down to 1492 and RTS to 2430 and test the large image again.

--

JM wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:28:24 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>

>>I was running the throughput tests at http://toast.net/performance, and it
>>seems to crash the router whenever I try to load the "large image" test...
>>

>>Bob
>

> Bring the MTU down to 1492 and RTS to 2430 and test the large image again.

That helped. What was it? A tiny change in Request to Send? (BTW,
I'm connecting via cable, not DSL)

Thanks,
Bob

JM

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:50:06 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:

> JM wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:28:24 -0500, zxcvbob scribbled:
>>

>>>I was running the throughput tests at http://toast.net/performance, and
>>>it seems to crash the router whenever I try to load the "large image"
>>>test...
>>>

>>>Bob
>>

>> Bring the MTU down to 1492 and RTS to 2430 and test the large image
>> again.
>>

> That helped. What was it? A tiny change in Request to Send? (BTW, I'm
> connecting via cable, not DSL)
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
Some times dropping RTS and MTU a few helps with congestion, you may also
want to try a short preamble.

--
NEMO SALTAT SOBRIUS NISI FORTE INSANIT.