Fx-4100 upgrade to FX-6300?

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hello,

I am currently running a FX-4100 at 4.6GHZ paired with a heavily overclocked MSI 7950 (maxed everything out in MSI afterburner) I feel as if i may be hitting a bottleneck with my FX-4100 and wanted to know what kind of difference i would see with a FX-6300. Would the difference be worth the money?

Thanks,
Matt

CPUGeek

Honorable
May 19, 2013
If the 4100 is overclocked to 4.6GHz, then you'll get practically no difference whatsoever performance-wise. With both at stock speeds, the 6300 only gives about a 4%-8% increase in performance. You could probably maintain the 4%-8% if you overclocked the 6300 too, but the difference would still be incredibly small.

G

I upgraded from a FX-4100 to a i5-3570k just because my starcraft would lag sometimes and IT STILL DOES! Long story short, people put down the 4100 but its not as bad as people care to say it is

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

Lag is unrelated to the CPU. A network issue won't go away from upgrading the CPU.

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

We are using the term "Lag" to express how choppy the video quality is.

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
For god sake people we mean how choppy the video quality is with LAG, By definition: "All video games incur some lag, since once an input from the player is received, the game must compute the next frame of video and that video frame must be scanned out to a display device. But in general parlance, video game lag refers to delays that are noticeable to a player. The tolerance for lag depends heavily on the type of game. For instance, a strategy game or a turn-based game with a low pace may have a high threshold or even be mostly unaffected by high delays, whereas a twitch gameplay game such as a first-person shooter with a considerably higher pace may require significantly lower delay to be able to provide satisfying gameplay. But, the specific characteristic of the game matter. For example, fast chess is a turn-based game that is fast action and may not tolerate high lag. And, some twitch games can be designed such that only events that impact the outcome of the game introduce lag, allowing for fast local response most of the time."

Google it.

nutmanmatt

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

Hmmm alright thanks i thought that would be the case i would like to get an i5 and call it a day but i simply dont have the budget for a good mobo and i5....would a 8 core FX do anything or still not worth it?

DerpSheep89

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

You should try OCing your FX. if you don't notice a difference then you should upgrade to something like an FX-8320/8350. It is weird that you can't go above Medium though, I have an FX-4100 at 4.0GHz and a GTX 750 Ti SC, 8GB RAM, and I can hit Ultra at ~30 FPS. IF you don't have 8GB of RAM, that might be your problem.