FX-4200 - Disable Thermal Throttle

braigduck

Prominent
Jul 20, 2018
Hey guys, this will be a bit weird so bear with me.

Im not new to computers, just new to tackling this very specific issue.

I have a media PC with an FX-4200 and a Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard, cooler is a Hyper 212.

The cpu, the FX-4200, has some kind of faulty temp monitor. In AMD overdrive, it behaves normally when its thermal margin is in the 20-40c area.

Once the thermal margin goes under 20c (under load), it jumps right to -185c, which is physically impossible.

When this happens, the CPU throttles down to 1.3Ghz, causing a massive decrease in performance.

The same exact setup has absolutely no issues with an overclocked FX-8370. I know, undeniably, that the CPU's thermal sensor is faulty.

I wanted to see if anyone knew a way to disable thermal throttling, as the system believes it is running waaaaaay hotter than it actually is. In actuality, I estimate its thermal margin is about ~5-10c max.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Solution
No way to disable throttling that I'm aware of.

Your VRMs may be overheating - wouldn't explain the weird read in OD, but would explain the performance issues.

125W TDP, but only Quad-Core.... so I would've expected it to be ok in all honesty.
BUT, if it's previously have an overclocked 8370 for some time, that may have done the damage.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No way to disable throttling that I'm aware of.

Your VRMs may be overheating - wouldn't explain the weird read in OD, but would explain the performance issues.

125W TDP, but only Quad-Core.... so I would've expected it to be ok in all honesty.
BUT, if it's previously have an overclocked 8370 for some time, that may have done the damage.

Solution