Fx 6100 showing only 3 cores instead of 6

mrcoolguyok

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hello,
I have an fx 6100 and just recently i noticed that my computer is only showing 3 out of 6 cores. I ran dxdiag, HWmonitor, cpuz and all of them confirm that i have only 3 cores?
I have a gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 board and i am running a f7 bios (beta ones). I know i have to go to bios most likely to change it but not sure what i wold need to change in that?
computer specs
gigabyte 990fxa-ud5
saphire 6850
antec 550W psu
fx 6100

mattberrytr

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i would imagine it's highly unlikely to damage your cpu so that it still works, but leave out the three extra cores

prob just a setting or something that isn't showing the three extra Hyper threading'ingly type cores (duno the amd name for them)

mrcoolguyok

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Mal- yeah it is a 3 core i think the other 3 are virtual ones lol. I shouldve gone with an amd 980 or even a 1100T.
I am running beta cuz i thought you had to have the latest bios but i guess since i was fine with my last one i shouldve prob stuck with that one.
Esrever-the bios shows that all the 6 cores are enabled.
Matt- i looked at the bios and reset it to factory cmos and it still shows 3 cores.
Maybe i should go back to the other previous bios version and see if the problem still exists.

mrcoolguyok

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
yeah msconfig is showing only 3 cores? Thats just odd. amuffin are you serious or are you joking? If i am getting better performance then why not just keep my current set up lol

mrcoolguyok

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
oh wow the cpu core control was set to manual i changed it to auto and now all the cores are there. Thank you Jimmybean. ANd thank you all for your inputs, i knew my answer would be found in tomshardware. Thank you guys!

G

Let me get this quite straight. The AMD FX Series CPUs are all frauds. Well, not complete frauds. AMD lied about the amount of cores in each one. For example, the FX 4100; AMD says that it has 4 cores. In fact, it only has 2. This is because AMD are counting the threads as cores and saying that they give the same performance as the 4 core CPU. In your case, with your FX 6100, it doesn't actually have 6 cores. More lile 3 cores and 6 threads. I hope that this makes you a bit less panicky.

ihog

Distinguished

They're called modules, I believe. Each pair of cores shares resources. But in AMD, all 6 "cores" have temperature sensors and they're all supposed to show up as separate cores.